AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry.. I'm getting my first HD LCD (Samsung LN40A530) and am a bit confused on which HDMI cables to get,I heard monoprice has the best prices for HDMI cables. I will be hooking up my new LCD to a Rogers HDPVR (DCT 6416/2300) and possible a BlueRay player later on.

I think 3 or 4 feet would be plenty could someone recommend which would be best to get?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10240

·
Registered
381 Posts
I personally use the Monoprice 24 AWG cat 2 cables for my connections. The cables are a bit stiff, but I have never had anything but excellent performance from them. I use 2, 3 and 6 foot cables for my connections.

·
Registered
381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major1 /forum/post/15528470

Stupid question but What's the difference between 22AWG and 24AWG?

Would this work?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/no...4004&p_id=4965

The smaller the number the thicker the cable. Yes that cable should work. Just remember since the 24 AWG is pretty stiff give yourself a little extra length to make the bends so you are not putting undo strain on the connector.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESLC /forum/post/15528551

The smaller the number the thicker the cable. Yes that cable should work. Just remember since the 24 AWG is pretty stiff give yourself a little extra length to make the bends so you are not putting undo strain on the connector.

Thanks! would 4 feet be enough (my HDPVR will be just under the tV on the stand)?

I heard the longer the cable the quality of the signal goes down?

·
Registered
381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major1 /forum/post/15528602

Thanks! would 4 feet be enough (my HDPVR will be just under the tV on the stand)?

I heard the longer the cable the quality of the signal goes down?

Ab3

Measure the distance you need and give yourself a little extra. I use the 2 foot for my short runs then up to 6 for the longer runs up to TV.

For your needs signal loss is not even a consideration due to cable length.

I have the following connected with various lengths of HDMI. Dish 622 receiver to HDMI 1.3b powered splitter, Pioneer A/V receiver with Sony 550 Blu-Ry Xbox 360 and Wii connected then the receiver to a Sony 52XBR6. All work perfectly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi,

I wanted to add onto this thread since I had a similar question. I really only need 4ft, 5ft might be OK depending on availability. I have heard that Catagory 2 Certified is important, and that things need to be at least 1.3a certified (all on monoprice appear to be).

My question is, what is the trade off going with an AWG 24 such as:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Or a AWG 28 such as:

Both cables appear to be HDMI 1.3a Catagory 2 Certified. But what is the whole Ferrite Core thing about in the second cable?

I realize the second cable is thinner, which is probably good for me. Its not being installed in wall, rather running behind my TV. Are there advantages or disadvantages to the Ferrite Core cables? And should I be considering a thicker cable for some reason?

Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
One last general HDMI Cable question. If I get a 5' cable for my "Monitor OUT" on my receiver (so receiver to TV), and have up to 3' cables from my devices into my receiver, am I at any risk of signal quality for the video from the devices, through the receiver, to the TV? So figure no more than 8ft total length. I'd be running no more than 1080i. Would that be fine, or should I try to reduce the total distance?

Thanks again

·
Registered
169 Posts
Was really looking for an answer to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil /forum/post/15581123

Both cables appear to be HDMI 1.3a Catagory 2 Certified. But what is the whole Ferrite Core thing about in the second cable?

From my above post, as it relates to Monoprice.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil /forum/post/15581123

Hi,

I wanted to add onto this thread since I had a similar question. I really only need 4ft, 5ft might be OK depending on availability. I have heard that Catagory 2 Certified is important, and that things need to be at least 1.3a certified (all on monoprice appear to be).

My question is, what is the trade off going with an AWG 24 such as:

Or a AWG 28 such as:

I realize the second cable is thinner, which is probably good for me. Its not being installed in wall, rather running behind my TV. Are there advantages or disadvantages to the Ferrite Core cables? And should I be considering a thicker cable for some reason?

Thanks!

I use the AWG 28 and it works fine. I use the 6 ft and 4 ft.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
There is no need to use 22 AWG cable for a 6' run.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Look like no one know the answer to the ferrite core hdmi cable. Myself, I just thought it might be more fragile to breakage (corewise) if it is soliid..

Monoprice doesn't say & have gotten a 10 footer at Frys that was only $9 but is now even cheaper; think the low cost is a ferrite core. Haven't opened/used so don't know as got it as a "just in cast" because of the low cost.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Died /forum/post/15619166

For runs of 30-40 feet, should I probably go to gold plated 22awg, or does it not matter?

What about for component cable?

It depends on the electronics components and the quality of the cable of course, but...

Some people have gotten good results with some brands of 24 AWG cable, but all else being equal it seems 22 AWG gives you more breathing room. The problem with 22 AWG cable is its stiffness. It's usually around 12 mm (half an inch!), which is very thick, and makes it hard to bend around corners.

The gold plated connectors are not really what you should be worried about. It's more the build quality of the cable itself. Gold plating is pretty much the norm anyway, even on relatively inexpensive cables.

My personal rule of thumb for inexpensive Chinese mass-produced cables like the ones Monoprice sells:

10' and under - 28 AWG

15' - 26 AWG

25' - 24 AWG

50' - 22 AWG

This is not based on any real scientific measurements or anything on my part. It is based on reading the available info out there (which includes other people's measurements), and my own experiences (with 8-bit 1080p60 sources). YMMV.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

I had to board up my basement before having purchased any cables, so I ran a 1"1/4 conduit from where the tv will be mounted to where I *think* the receivers will be. (long story, but my basement renovation has nothing to do with a theater room....this is just an afterthough).

From your personal experience with 22AWG cables from monoprice, do you think i'd be able to snake them through the conduit? It's the grey kind used for outdoor wiring, and 90" corners are actually extremly gradual.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The ferrite core refers to the large 'cylinders' on both ends of the cable. They're used to filter out RF Interference.

Not really too familiar with Monoprice specifically, but a lot of HDMI Cables have these to eliminate potential RF Interference from getting into the signal path.

Monoprice says they don't use them on their larger cables because adding them to the larger size of the cables would be extremely bulky, and they say that the heavier guage of wire in the larger cables offets the use of the ferrite core.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Died /forum/post/15619564

22AWG cables from monoprice, do you think i'd be able to snake them through the conduit? It's the grey kind used for outdoor wiring, and 90" corners are actually extremly gradual.

Dunno. Never tried doing that.

Give it a shot and report back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/15619323

My personal rule of thumb for inexpensive Chinese mass-produced cables like the ones Monoprice sells:

10' and under - 28 AWG

15' - 26 AWG

25' - 24 AWG

50' - 22 AWG

This is not based on any real scientific measurements or anything on my part. It is based on reading the available info out there (which includes other people's measurements), and my own experiences (with 8-bit 1080p60 sources). YMMV.

P.S. I've noticed that these days it's harder to find cheap Copartner Chinese 26 AWG 15' cables, but I have noticed that some branded 15' cables are 26 AWG.

So, my rule of thumb above doesn't really apply, because you might not be able to get the cable anyway, unless you spend significantly more on a branded cable. So, a more realistic rule of thumb for inexpensive Chinese (tinned) HDMI cables would be something like:

10' and under - 28 AWG

15' - 24 AWG

50' - 22 AWG

Actually, if I were getting anything over 30', I'd consider getting 22 AWG anyway just to be on the safe side, assuming the cable size and stiffness are not problematic. (For example, 22 AWG is too thick to fit properly in the plastic CordMate II conduits from Wiremold, that you can get at Home Depot.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts