AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my setup, PS3 HDMI to Samsung HL-S6767W and PS3 OPTICAL to Denon AVR3802.

I and my family want to watch BD/DVD or play games with the AV receiver OFF, with just the speaker from the TV.

But, there are times that we want with the surround sound.

The problem is I have to switch back and forth the audio setting from Optical (for the surround) and HDMI (for the TV)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
It sounds like the PS3 will not output audio from both simultaneously. Are you simply using the TV's speakers for the convenience of not turning on the receiver and using multiple remotes?

If so, I would suggest a good programmable universal remote like a Harmony or URC. Otherwise, you'll have to constantly keep switching the PS3's settings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/0

It sounds like the PS3 will not output audio from both simultaneously. Are you simply using the TV's speakers for the convenience of not turning on the receiver and using multiple remotes?

I guess you are right.

I am currently using Harmony 550. And we just want to use the TV's speaker without the surround.

I tried the HL-S6767W Optical out (from TV to AV) but not getting DTS or DOLBY DIGITAL on my receiver since the TV is only accepting 2 channel linear PCM audio.

I'll probably just keep switching the PS3's settings.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph /forum/post/0

as I recently discovered, the PS3 will only send 2 channel PCM signals through HDMI. You have to use optical from the PS3 to get the good stuff.

The PS3 will send up 7.1 PCM through the HDMI, can your receiver take that input?

I use mine via HDMI in 5.1 all day long, and with uncompressed Blu-Ray PCM Audio movies, it sound amazing.

With your setup, you will have to keep switching. PS3 can only output one Audio device at a time.

I would say just use the reciever all the time, sounds better than a TV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertStern /forum/post/0

The PS3 will send up 7.1 PCM through the HDMI, can your receiver take that input?

That is my major problem... my AVR-3802 doesn't have HDMI input and the "WIFE".

I wish I can still sweet talk to her like I use to.

Oh, well, maybe 6 months from now. I hope by then there are level 6 receiver available and I can afford.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ah, so it auto-detects what the receiver can handle? it was hooked up directly to my samsung DVD player/all-in-one dealie (old soon to be replaced) at the time, and it only listed those as options. Yet my DVD player would actual play any audio from the PS3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.