AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to connect my DVD player, which is a Sony DVP-NS75H, using an HDMI and an optical connection to my Yamaha HTR5990 at the same time, but not use the HDMI sound, but instead the optical sound as a source?

I think the optical is giving me better over all sound, but then again, I've been tinkering quite a bit lately, so it might be something else.

Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by androgelrx /forum/post/0

Yes, just mute the speakers on the tv.

They're already muted.

To summerize:

dvd (hdmi & optical out) --> receiver (hdmi & optical in) --> tv (hdmi in)

From the dvd player, both hdmi and the optical outputs send audio signals, I want to just use the optical audio signal, not the hdmi audio. For hdmi, I only want to use the video signal.

I'm not sure this is possible though.

·
Registered
856 Posts
i think you should be able to assign for instance video 1 or dvd to use the hdmi output for video to the tv and assign the same video 1 or dvd, etc to use optical for the sound. I do this similarly with my denon, i have hdmi coming out of my dvd player and optical, and just assign the dvd input from the osd of the receiver to handle the inputs correctly. Check your manual, but this should be attainable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but you could just run the HDMI from your DVD player to your TV and your DVD optical to your receiver. Unless your tv only has one HDMI slot

and you have multiple HDMI devices and all of this was to be assumed and I'm just too tired and stupid to realize it. In that case, carry on then.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adewinne /forum/post/0

They're already muted.

To summerize:

dvd (hdmi & optical out) --> receiver (hdmi & optical in) --> tv (hdmi in)

From the dvd player, both hdmi and the optical outputs send audio signals, I want to just use the optical audio signal, not the hdmi audio. For hdmi, I only want to use the video signal.

I'm not sure this is possible though.

You just need to look in the owner's manual for your receiver again.

It is almost certain that if your receiver accepts audio over HDMI at all then your receiver offers you the option of using EITHER the digital audio coming in on the HDMI cable OR coming in on some other digital audio input such as your optical input. In fact it probably even offers you the option of using an ANALOG audio input. It pretty much has to be this way for backwards compatibility with older "DVI" output devices (such as many cable TV boxes) since DVI to HDMI connections do not carry audio.

Typically this will be in the Setup menu for your receiver, most likely organized by each type of video input. I.e., "Which audio do you want to use with this video?", or some such.

--Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.