AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer 42 Plasma TV, HD satellite box and Sony DVX home theatre system. My TV is connected to the satellite box through HDMI. I also wold like to connect my TV to SONY home theatre and the TV has an optical audio out for this purpose. However, when I connect the tv through optical audio, I get no sound from the home theatre speakers. I tried the satlleite box and connect the satellite box to the home theatre through optical audio and same problem. No sound from the home theatre. Is it possible that when you use HDMI, you can not use any other sound output which means that you can not use external speakers? If this is the case, then that means that you limited to your TV speakers in the case of using HDMI. Or is there another problem that I am not aware of?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbaban /forum/post/0

I have a Pioneer 42 Plasma TV, HD satellite box and Sony DVX home theatre system. My TV is connected to the satellite box through HDMI. I also wold like to connect my TV to SONY home theatre and the TV has an optical audio out for this purpose. However, when I connect the tv through optical audio, I get no sound from the home theatre speakers. I tried the satlleite box and connect the satellite box to the home theatre through optical audio and same problem. No sound from the home theatre. Is it possible that when you use HDMI, you can not use any other sound output which means that you can not use external speakers? If this is the case, then that means that you limited to your TV speakers in the case of using HDMI. Or is there another problem that I am not aware of?

Thanks

You need to connect the cable box to your tv with th HDMI cable. This will allow you to listen to your tv using the tv's speakers, without the receiver being on.

Connect the optical cable to your receiver. You may need to program the receiver to to use the optical cable. (ie: program optical to = tv) When you

want to listen to listen using the receiver, switch it to "tv". Then turn the volume on your tv to "0"

The reason for all of this has to do with some sort of coyright extension of HDMI. Your tv is not allowed to output an HDMI feed. (That is how I understand it)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks it worked. When I program the receiver I can get the sound through the cable box. The TV, as you mentioned, will not allow the use of optical cable while HDMI is connected. But I go through the cable box and it works. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.