AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that speaker wire and romex should be kept apart, or at most cross perpendicularly. What about hdmi cables and romex? In-wall pass-through outlets place hdmi cables and romex cables close to one another and in parallel runs. Is this ok? Does your answer depend on the type of romex and hdmi cable?

For reference, I'm running 14/2 romex parallel to this redmere hdmi cable . They'll be within 2cm of each other for 6m. (For embracers of the imperial unit system, that's about 3/4in of each other for about 20ft. Let me know if you need it in nautical miles or chains.)

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Won't hurt anything. And no, doesn't make any difference on the types...

The practice of keeping speaker wire and other low-volt cables away from 60Hz AC is valid, and in general a good thing. But the high-speed digital signals in HDMI aren't going to be bothered.

But what's keeping them so close together over a 6m run? You're not running them in the same conduit, are you? The few cm of close contact at the wall plates is nothing to worry about.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I have my 30' redmere run parallel to some romex for about 10 or 12 feet. I'm not quite 2cm together, but probably more like 6 cm. This setup is only temporary until I re-wire the lights on the other side of the room. I told myself I'd just have those lights off while the projector is on. But honestly, I've had the lights on and no real problem with the video signal.

Like jautor says, are you running in the same conduit or something? Seems a little odd.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts