AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have my xbox hooked up to the set using the cables that came with the unit, which seem to be just your average component one with just an hdtv/tv switch. I would like to go hdmi with this but there is no hook up on the xbox. First of all, will I get a better picture if I can get HDMI cable to it? Secondly, if I can get a better picture, how do I do it? I am new here. Thanks in advance. JoeB

P.S. I posted this on another thread, but didn't get a response....yet so I thought I would try here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Whether HDMI looks better or not is moot since your 360 doesn't have an HDMI port.

I wouldn't worry much though. From what I've read, the component output is essentially identical to the HDMI (when equipped), so you're probably not losing anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Related question. I have the original 360 with component similar to the op. Can I connect that to my receiver and then output it from my receiver to my TV through HDMI?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 /forum/post/15526629

I just bought this in december. it's the xbox 360 pro with 60GB hard drive and it is HD capable

You just bought it and it has no HDMI output? It must be used or something.

Anyway, some say HDMI looks better on 360, but I think it's wishful thinking - most people say component looks just as good.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 /forum/post/15526629

I just bought this in december. it's the xbox 360 pro with 60GB hard drive and it is HD capable

So it should have a built in HDMI port on it already!!! It should be right under the normal Video port your currently using for the component connection. Xboxes have had HDMI for quite a while now and before the 60 gig HDD upgrade. I sold my Original 360 to buy one with a HDMI port for my new 50" inch plasma. I really did that to get 1080P output when watching a HD DVD on the HD DVD drive. Games will output to 1080P anyway though a Component connection. Some HDTV's won't accept a 1080P signal though Component, if yours is already working then your really ok.

Some Surround sound receivers will go convert from Component to a HDMI output. I know on my NEW one, my old TIVO is plugged in using S-Video and it goes out though my HDMI cable. The only connection I need for my HDTV.

It all depends on the Receiver. I was until I got my new Xbox plugging it in using Component and a Optical connection in to the Optical port, and of course the Video was going out with Component to my HDTV. There's nothing really wrong with doing this.

Component is perfect capable of 1080P output. HDMI is around for a simpler hookup and to Copy Protect using HDCP which is part of the HDMI format. Better Copy protection with a Digital connection then a Analog one.

When I got my new HDTV and the New XBox, I tried going HDMI directly to my HDTV and from this the Optical from the HDTV to my Receiver, but the best it would get is Dolby Pro Logic II. Not true surround sound with Dolby Digital or DTS. It's the DRM of HDMI. That forced me to buy MS HDMI cable because it comes with the Audio Box that you plug into the Normal Video/Audio port. This will give you the Optical connection from the 360 to go directly to the Receiver so you get real Surround sound.

I NOW have a new Surround Sound Receiver I got just over a week ago with 5 HDMI inputs. So my 360 and everything else plugs into it using HDMI except for my TIVO(S-Video) and all goes out though a single HDMI cable to my HDTV. I no longer need MS little Audio Box since the HDMI cable is going directly to my Receiver so it can get True surround sound that way.

Did I confuse you any?!?!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there is no HDMI port, just the one, but the cable I have has a switch on it that has 2 settings 'TV' or 'HDTV'. The manual says to switch it to this and it will support 480p 720p 1080i and 1080p. I have it on this now. I just thought that maybe I could get better PQ with HDMI cables. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only XBox 360 to come with HDMI output is the XBox 360 Elite model. All other systems can only output to composite or component signals. According to a Gizmodo article HDMI output is superior to component on the Elite thanks to DVD upscaling and color balance. However, even though you have the Pro model, your component HD signal should still be very good. I've been completely happy with mine and the color issues can easily be corrected on the set.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
VGA working very well.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunUeno /forum/post/15529262

The only XBox 360 to come with HDMI output is the XBox 360 Elite model. All other systems can only output to composite or component signals. According to a Gizmodo article HDMI output is superior to component on the Elite thanks to DVD upscaling and color balance. However, even though you have the Pro model, your component HD signal should still be very good. I've been completely happy with mine and the color issues can easily be corrected on the set.

Wrong.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 /forum/post/15528436

there is no HDMI port, just the one, but the cable I have has a switch on it that has 2 settings 'TV' or 'HDTV'. The manual says to switch it to this and it will support 480p 720p 1080i and 1080p. I have it on this now. I just thought that maybe I could get better PQ with HDMI cables. Thanks.

Really, no HDMI port for a 360 that came with the 60 gig drive??? Strange.

Yes you want the switch to the HD position and the 360 set to 1080P. Your HDTV should show 1080P when pushing the Info Button. Your really not going to get a better picture just switching to HDMI. The 360 will play games in 1080P with no Limitations using a Component connection. If you were using a PS3 and watching a Blu-Ray you would be limited to 1080i output from the PS3 without a HDMI connection. Since there's no Blu-Ray for the 360, and it doesn't sound like you have a HD DVD drive for your 360, this isn't a problem.

Really, the only reason for you to go with HDMI is if you were using a Receiver with built in HDMI and wanted to use that to switch Inputs, and have Video and Sound all on a single HDMI cable. Any better picture with HDMI is pretty slim to none otherwise.

·
Registered
544 Posts
All 360's these days being sold have a HDMI port and have for quite some time. In fact I sold my first 360 and got myself a Arcade 360 for the HDMI port. I already had the 120 gig drive to install on it and other accessory's, so no need to get the Pro or Elite. ALL the 360 are the SAME other then the outer shell casing and the accessory's that come with the system.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 /forum/post/15528436

Why don't you tell us if you bought it used or brand new, so we don't have to keep guessing?

·
Registered
28,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves /forum/post/15528536

no adapter your xbox either has hdmi or doesn't

Not true. There is an adapter for 360's that do not have an HDMI port. It converts it to HDMI so you can use an HDMI cable. Some TV's out there (especially plasma) loose a lot of settings/adjustments when using VGA and you get all your fine tuning with HDMI. The converter is expensive (like $60) but can be purchased at Best Buy, Gamestop, etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you don't have an HDMI port? If memory serves, it's located either right next to or right below the big switch-cable for component. You might have to actually unplug the switch-cable to see it.

I got a 360 about a year ago and it was the 20gb pro model. I'm pretty sure it has the HDMI port on it, but you might not see it if you're just craning your neck around behind the console with all the cables attached.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I pulled the whole thing out today and ...stupid me , the HDMI port was slightly out of view right next to the big switch cable component and as it's recessed into the unit, (I dont know how I did this but)I totally missed it!!
Thanks for all your help. I am going out to buy HDMI cable for this today. By the way I bought this unit new at BB. The promotion came with Kungfu Panda, Lego Indiana Jones, Assassin's creed and Viva Pinata included $299.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah, thought so. When I first got the thing and before I'd ever seen an HDMI port before, I was shocked at how small it was. It's easy to miss when the other larger cable is plugged in.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts