AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've had these audio problems for a while and hope someone can help. The HDMI connection is between a Pioneer 550h and a Samsung 4051D HDTV. I've tried 3 differently branded cables. The audio problems take three forms.

1. A "bzzzt" sound of about 1 second duration, 5 to 10 seconds between each "bzzzt". It doesn't distort normal audio playback. If a DVD is playing then paused, the "bzzzt" continues. This will usually happen once, maybe twice during a long day of tv viewing. The problem lasts about 10 or 15 minutes, then stops.

2. A brief crackling sound which does distort audio playback. This occurs irregularly from 10 minutes to 60 minutes (but continuously, not just once or twice as in #1, if you know what I mean).

3. Audio playback starts popping on certain vocal and music frequencies. This happens much less frequently than #2 above, but I've noticed it can happen when changing input source, or even changing the TV channel. This continues until I unplug the cable, either at the TV or the DVDR, and plug it back in. It might not happen again for a day or two.

Unplugging and plugging the cable back in makes no difference to 1 and 2 above. This only happens with HDMI. Audio is ouput from the TV to an amp. All devices are running through a high-quality surge protector.

Thanks!

·
Registered
922 Posts
A simple fix maybe the cable. Is your HDMI cable certifiedCategory 2, version 1.3 ?

·
23,032 Posts
It's unlikely a cable problem unless it's over 10-15m. And if video is ok, then it's not a cable problem.

larry

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Sounds like some strange intermittent with the HDMI audio. Can you just run the audio directly from the Pioneer to the amp?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Each of the three cables I tried were certified Category 2, version 1.3; Phillips, Belkin and this last one from Monoprice. It's probably a 3m cable. The video delivery has always been just fine. I'll look later today about running the audio from the DVDR to the amp, but how would I defeat the HDMI audio and still use its video? It'd be a bummer to go back to component after HDMI video. Thanks!

Yon

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder /forum/post/15563635

I'll look later today about running the audio from the DVDR to the amp, but how would I defeat the HDMI audio and still use its video? It'd be a bummer to go back to component after HDMI video. Thanks!

Don't quite understand the problem. Are you talking about the audio going directly to the TV? For that you just turn down the TV volume.

Or are there occasions when you want the TV to output audio and not use the external amp? That may not be possible unless the TV has an option to select an external audio source while using HDMI video.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't think it through before I posted my last reply. The TV's speakers aren't even on. What I did just now was run audio out from the Pioneer to the amp's tape1/monitor. Although this fixes the immediate audio issue, it was driving me nuts, we may never know what's causing the original problem. My house is old, therefore the electrical is, too. Perhaps the cause is in there somewhere.

Thanks!

Yon

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Difficult though it may be, sometimes the best solution to a problem is just to use a workaround and ignore the source of the original problem. The nature of your audio noise would seem to indicate some intrinsic problem with either the Pioneer or the TV's HDMI audio path. Even if you did determine the source of the problem, it would probably require a repair of the offending device.

Doubt that the house electrical wiring has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Searching around other places, and these fine forums, my situation seems to be unique. I'm happy with the workaround, though. Thanks to everyone for your inputs.

Yon

·
Banned
185 Posts
OK. I know this is sort of old, but I am having a crackling problem with a recently installed video card with HDMI output.

i bought a Sapphire one gig card and hooked it up to a spare HP computer. The video is awesome. Great full-screen 46" video from HULU, National Networks, Free movies sites, etc.

The sound, on the other hand, is annoying. When running through the HDMI cable, there is a crackling in the background that I can't get rid of.

I have downloaded the latest drivers from ATI - it didn't help. I un-installed the Realtek on-board motherboard drivers - it didn't help. I re-installed the on-board drivers - it didn't help.

The only way I can get a decent sound is to go directly though the on-board sound card to my stereo. That sort of sucks as I was looking forward to the HDMI sound output for surround sound and such.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this that they were able to fix?

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
That sounds (sorry about the pun) like either the video card is being interrupted or there is an overmodulation of the audio in the computer. In other words, it has the effect of hitting the maximum audio level (clipping) repeatedly. Another way to generate a similar sound is if one of the non-PCM codecs (DTS, Dolby Digital) was being interpretted as PCM, which usually sounds more like noise rather than a sharp crackle.

Anyway, it likely isn't the HDMI interface causing this but rather the video board drivers or the sound device settings. The best bet (and it sounds like you already did this) is the check as many web sites for that video card as you can. I might also see if there are any interrupts that can be changed, although most of those are usually set automatically these days. Have you tried a different slot in the computer? (a long shot)

·
Banned
185 Posts
It only has one PCIe 16 slot.

Sound volume doesn't seem to make any difference. It doesn't actually sound like clipping. It is just an annoying little background crackle.

Well, since i have never heard any clipping on my computers, I suppose it could be. But it shows up even when the volume is low.

I will keep on clicking and changing things and hopefully I will figure it out. If not, it definitely has good two channel stereo.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Boy  /t/1108796/hdmi-audio-buzz-pops-and-crackles#post_22576296

It only has one PCIe 16 slot.

Sound volume doesn't seem to make any difference. It doesn't actually sound like clipping. It is just an annoying little background crackle.

Well, since i have never heard any clipping on my computers, I suppose it could be. But it shows up even when the volume is low.

I will keep on clicking and changing things and hopefully I will figure it out. If not, it definitely has good two channel stereo.

Crackle is more of a clock/driver/interrupt problem. So, I'd head to the manufacturer's website or try,
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=graphics+card+audio+crackling+sound&oq=video+card+audio+crackling+sound&gs_l=hp.3..33i29.1358.8900.0.9178.37.33.1.2.2.1.229.3947.11j20j2.33.0.les%3B..1.0...1c.1.z8nST4oRJiE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=3726595a7d77902b&bpcl=38093640&biw=1364&bih=597

Doing a quick scan showed that one other possibility is your Antivirus software. Try temporarily disabling the AV software and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Banned
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997  /t/1108796/hdmi-audio-buzz-pops-and-crackles#post_22579486

Doing a quick scan showed that one other possibility is your Antivirus software. Try temporarily disabling the AV software and see if that fixes the problem.

I will check out the things on the link. I have seen where other people have this problem as well and can never find a solution. I might try a different card. I sent a help request but never heard back from them after they told me they received my request.

I do not run an antivirus program except for a Malware detector when I shut down each night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts