AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built a new HTPC with the ASUS H87M-PRO motherboard and an Intel i3-4130.

This system is replacing a Dell Zino which I used for several years until I decided it was just too slow.

I installed the new system and connected it to my home theater using the HDMI connection. I am using JRiver's Media Center software for TV recording and Foobar 2000 for audio playback. These are the same packages I used on my previous system so I think they are configured correctly.

I noticed some subtle changes in the Windows 7 control panel. There is now a sound device for my preamp (Integra 9.8 ) which replaced the Realtek HDMI device available on the Dell system.

Everything seems to work fine with WASAPI and no bitstreaming.

However when I place the motherboard in standby something changes and audio stops working correctly.

If the source requires decoding (Dolby Digital TV), the sound is just garbled. I have also seen situations where the preamp simply cannot lock on the DD signal and keeps switching from Stereo to DD and back to Stereo. That may have been when I enabled bitstreaming again.

If the source is simply audio (WMA 24/48 or 16/44.1), the vocals sound like someone has been breathing helium. Since both programs exhibit the same problem, I think the issue is somehow related to the HDMI port on the motherboard.

When I play around with other audio options (e.g. Windows Direct using the mixer in Windows 7), I generally get no sound at all. The only way to correct the problem is to restart Windows. Then everything works fine until I enter standby again.

I also have an IR receiver plugged into a USB port on the front of the system. This receiver is useful for powering the system on and off. I can see the receiver in the Control Panel but it does not seem to work. I cannot turn the system on or off with my remote. Using the keyboard I can enter and exit standby without any problems.

·
Registered
15,087 Posts
What graphics hardware are you using?

Your symptoms are consistent with its HDMI audio drivers being buggy. You should try getting up-to-date drivers from the manufacturer of the graphics hardware.

In some cases AVR Audio Guard can help, since it can reset both Windows and HDMI devices without requiring a system reboot. See http://www.avsforum.com/t/1317491/silent-stream-bug

Sorry I can't help with your IR/USB problem, though.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I downloaded a new audio/video driver set from www.intel.com and that seems to have solved the problem with garbled audio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts