AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, couldn't find an answer for this problem.

I've previously had large hifi setups but have downgraded somewhat having moved to a small flat. I'm now running everything sans receiver with powered speakers but the connections and quality are somewhat lacking.

I'm planning to buy a basic HDMI receiver so I can get the lossless audio running through and decoded appropriately and was thinking Onkyo, having had pleasant experiences with their products in the past (though I am willing to try any brand). My powered speakers only have RCA inputs and I'm concerned the lower end receivers I'm looking at won't output HDMI audio over their RCA outputs. I can't really find any evidence that gives me a firm answer though.

Any ideas on models that will do this? Also - I'm guessing Audyssey wouldn't work in this situation?

·
Banned
38 Posts
what you need is an AVR with pre-outs.

The lowest priced "this year" receiver is the Onkyo TX NR709/HT RC370(same receiver in two versions...more or less).

From last year you have the choice of(and this will hardly be exhaustive)

Yamaha RX-V667/867

Yamaha RX-A800(maybe even the 700)

Onkyo TX NR708/HT RC270

NAD T747

HK 3600(maybe the 2600)

Anyway, you need a receiver with multi-channel pre-outs. Look at the rear picture of the NR708/9 and you see them marked. Also look at a pic of the rear of the RX-V667/867 and you'll see them there...then when you look for a receiver, you'll see exactly what you'll need.

If you don't need 3D capable...there are even older receivers that still do lossless that won't break the bank. (like Accessories4less has the Onkyo TX SR706 as a refurb...and that thing is now 3 years old)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much, I've just done a search for pre-out amps and found Marantz SR5005. Seems a bit cheaper than the Onkyo but looks pretty sleek. Older ones might be a good idea though, definitely hoping to keep the price down

Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.