AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm hoping this hasn't already covered somewhere, but I didn't see it. My question: My reciever will handle all of the latest audio formats, and I'd like to update my HDMI from my PS3 to my receiver with an HDMI 1.3. I've read that I need to do that to be able to get the "latest sound stuff/formats".

Question, and maybe a pretty dumb one. Can I use my older version HDMI going OUT to the TV or will there be some kind of conflict using 2 different versions?...even though the OUT to the TV is for video only. I've read so much about things "recognizing" things (I hope that made sense) that I'm wondering if there would be an "issue". I'd REALLY like to get the most out of my audio. That's the whole idea, right! Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks...

·
Registered
5,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblegs /forum/post/18261867

First off, I'm hoping this hasn't already covered somewhere, but I didn't see it. My question: My reciever will handle all of the latest audio formats, and I'd like to update my HDMI from my PS3 to my receiver with an HDMI 1.3. I've read that I need to do that to be able to get the "latest sound stuff/formats".

Question, and maybe a pretty dumb one. Can I use my older version HDMI going OUT to the TV or will there be some kind of conflict using 2 different versions?...even though the OUT to the TV is for video only. I've read so much about things "recognizing" things (I hope that made sense) that I'm wondering if there would be an "issue". I'd REALLY like to get the most out of my audio. That's the whole idea, right! Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks...

How do you intend to "update" the PS3? Is there a kit to do so? HDMI is more than just a cable. It is an entire digital interafe. To update from 1.1 to 1.3, for instance, would require a new HDMI interface card and firmware.

In any case, the PS3 is capable of decoding the lossless audio codecs internally and outputting them as multichannel PCM via HDMI to your AVR.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Obviously I'm a little confused..or was. It just seems that I read somewhere that even though my reciever AND PS3 can decode that stuff, I still needed that updated version (1.3) to carry the signal between the two. Funny thing, i don't consider my self dumb when it comes to these things, (audio "stuff") but that decoding/HDMI has really gotten me confused. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and connect all of that stuff, try and get all my settings dialed in right, and hope like heck I've done all I can do with the gear I have! Thanks for your input eveyone. I do appreciate it. (it's amazing the amount of time you have to spend to know what the h*ll you're doing sometimes with this stuff...but man is it worth it!)

·
Registered
5,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblegs /forum/post/18263384

Obviously I'm a little confused..or was. It just seems that I read somewhere that even though my reciever AND PS3 can decode that stuff, I still needed that updated version (1.3) to carry the signal between the two. Funny thing, i don't consider my self dumb when it comes to these things, (audio "stuff") but that decoding/HDMI has really gotten me confused. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and connect all of that stuff, try and get all my settings dialed in right, and hope like heck I've done all I can do with the gear I have! Thanks for your input eveyone. I do appreciate it. (it's amazing the amount of time you have to spend to know what the h*ll you're doing sometimes with this stuff...but man is it worth it!)

Since the AVR will decode lossless codecs, that means it is HDMI 1.3. But you don't need HDMI 1.3 to handle multichannel PCM. 1.1 and 1.2 will do just fine. The PS3 will work just fine decoding the lossless codecs to multichannel PCM and transmitting that data to your AVR. Just read the instructions for both on how to achieve that.

·
Registered
689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblegs /forum/post/18261867

Question, and maybe a pretty dumb one. Can I use my older version HDMI going OUT to the TV or will there be some kind of conflict using 2 different versions?...even though the OUT to the TV is for video only.

Not exactly what you're asking but I have HDMI 1.3 cables from my BluRay to AVR and AVR to TV and a pre-1.3 (not sure what spec) cable from DVR to TV. Works fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts