AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! So Summer is nearly here and my Dad wants music in his backyard. He has a normal Denon 5.1 setup (AVR-S900W) for his home theater that he would like to take it from. Would like to take music from a few sources:
  1. Plex Windows 10 that is plugged into the Denon via HDMI
  2. Airplay
  3. Spectrum cable box via HDMI
Assuming Denon output is video only and stripped of audio. Additionally, I assume the Denon will only output analog sources to Zone 2...and he has 2 digital sources. He also has a spare Onkyo TX-SR707 sitting in a box that I was thinking could be used as a power/volume control for the backyard.

Before making this post, I searched AVSForum for similar situations and couldn't find an up-to-date solution. Is there an ideal way of doing this (thinking totally outside the box if necessary) without breaking or degrading his current setup? e.g. don't want to degrade to 2.0 audio on his home theater setup for an audio converter to work. Has there been any newer technology (without breaking the bank) that would accomplish this?

Thank you in advance!!!

Here is the rear of the Denon AVR-S900W:

Also the rear view of the Onkyo TX-SR707:

·
Premium Member
92,808 Posts
Unlike the Denon "X" series models, the "S" series models (eg. S900W) don't feature Zone 2 pre-outs, so you wouldn't be able to connect the Onkyo to the S900W. Instead, the Zone 2 speakers must be connected to the SURROUND BACK speaker posts. Unlike the mid/upper "X" models, the "S" series models are unable to pass HDMI/digital audio to Zone 2, rather only analog, networking, USB, and TUNER.

One option would be to purchase a couple HDMI --> Analog audio extractors that can be connected to each of the PC and cable box running the HDMI output to the S900W HDMI inputs (eg. CBL/SAT and CD) and the analog output to the analog inputs (eg. CBL/SAT and CD).

Another option would be to connect the analog outputs to the Onkyo and then connect the Zone 2 speakers to the Onkyo Front L/R speaker posts.

Note also that there is a dedicated thread for the 2014 Denon AVR models (eg. S900W).

The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ | AVS Forum

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks jdsmoothie!

Doesn't the HDMI->Analog audio extractors downgrade the audio? Know of one that doesn't?

To be honest, it doesn't have to be a Zone 2 thing. I'm perfectly fine with the Onkyo being the dedicated backyard receiver...and it only needs audio (no video). That being said, it would be ideal to take it from each source device (eg. Windows 10 Plex box, Spectrum cable box, etc.) to it's own analog (or SP/DIF) input on the Onkyo. The only thing that wouldn't happen is the Airplay, but I can work that in other ways.

Wonder if the Windows 10 Plex box can output audio to other outputs simultaneously without need for audio extractor. Hmmm.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts