AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be getting an hdmi splitter due to being tired of constantly swapping cords. I know they make splitters that automatically detect the input and automatically switch to it. My question is how can can you get it to auto detect the new signal if you have constantly running other devices (camera system, TiVo...etc)
Is there any devices made for these circumstances or in these cases do you always have to manually push the splitter button to the input you are wanting to see?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it auto detect the new input? Do you have any constantly running devices on the same splitter?

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
I am going to be getting an hdmi splitter due to being tired of constantly swapping cords. I know they make splitters that automatically detect the input and automatically switch to it. My question is how can can you get it to auto detect the new signal if you have constantly running other devices (camera system, TiVo...etc)
Is there any devices made for these circumstances or in these cases do you always have to manually push the splitter button to the input you are wanting to see?
What you want is a SWITCH, not a SPLITTER. GO to monoprice. There are several very good ones for good prices. None will do what you want to do though, you will have to use the included remote...

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
If all the sources are turned on how would it know which one you want? Telepathy?

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,421 Posts
The automatic switches typically switch to the lowest-numbered port that has a signal on it. That works well if there is only one device that is always on (such as a Roku) or only one device that will sometimes power on even when you don't want to watch it at that time (such as my DVR when it has something to record), and all the other devices are powered on only when you want to use them.

However, for what you describe, I don't see how such a device would benefit you. Instead, I think you would be stuck manually switching between devices, though better with a switch box with a remote than by lots of unplugging and replugging cords.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts