AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Audio Pack Rat
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone that has had a HDMI board actually fail, are there any warning signs?

I am getting some clicking in my speakers when I switch channels and the HDMI board reacquires the signal.

This is a new sound that has just started in the last week.

I already checked all the associated cables to make sure nothing was loose.

Thanks in advance !

P.s. Like many of you I can practically rewire my setup blindfolded . So imagine my surprise when checking for loose cables I discover my surround channels were reversed ! They were reversed for about 3 weeks and I didn't even notice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The mechanical clicking from the receiver when changing sources is normal. I never had any clicking from the speakers.

When the HDMI board fails, you start getting no sound or video when starting up the receiver, initially only until it warms up, then after a few months not even after warm-up and a few restarts,

·
Audio Pack Rat
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin  /t/1519693/hdmi-board-failure-warning-signs-onkyo-etc#post_24405537

The mechanical clicking from the receiver when changing sources is normal. I never had any clicking from the speakers.

When the HDMI board fails, you start getting no sound or video when starting up the receiver, initially only until it warms up, then after a few months not even after warm-up and a few restarts,

How long are you talking about initially? 10 seconds 30, seconds or several minutes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Initially all I needed to do was to restart the receiver, and the sound would come on. After like 2 months, I don't turn it off, because it takes 10-15 minutes to get the sound working on startup.

·
Registered
606 Posts
When my board went, it just went .

I was watching a program ,and then nothing. No video, no sound. Everything had been fine up until the moment it died.

Alan

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin  /t/1519693/hdmi-board-failure-warning-signs-onkyo-etc#post_24409420

When my board went, it just went .

I was watching a program ,and then nothing. No video, no sound. Everything had been fine up until the moment it died.

Alan

Same as my HK 354

·
Audio Pack Rat
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my Integra 40.3 seems to be taking a little bit longer than it used to to perform its initial startup. It also is taking slightly longer to reacquire the signal when changing channels on my cable box.

Then there is the clicking noise when changing channels as well.

With all these things happening in a fairly short time I just figured it was my time for a board failure. However I am wondering if my cable box may be the culprit. I have had two dvr cable boxes fail in the last 10 years so it is a possibility .

Thanks for all your replies, appreciate it!

·
Registered
451 Posts
My Onkyo HT-RC180 just died one morn. Turned on, but wouldn't pass video thru to tv or bdp but could get audio from the cd player. Mine was out of warranty but Onkyo did a one time repair to the hdmi board & I had my unit back in just under 3 weeks. As for the clicking, it clicked every time I changed channels & the listening mode changed, but the new 818 I have doesn't do that. Some do, some don't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts