AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to run a 25' HDMI cable (for 720p) and curious if 26AWG would be fine for that distance. For that matter, would 28AWG be ok for that distance? I have a bend and am thinking the 24AWG will most likely be too stiff. The 28AWG would be the easiest to work with for my route, but not sure if that will work well for 25'.


Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
I have this running from my 1080p pj to my htpc and it works just fine. Had compared the image using a short 6ft hdmi 1.3 cable before making the run and can't tell an difference between the two. Note: this is only for video, so not carrying any audio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,217 Posts
As long as you get a decent quality cable (read: monoprice, blue jeans, etc) you are fine.


It is total BS to believe in "1.3 certified" cables for runs that aren't super long.


Just like 1080p is "full HD" -- simply crazy marketing hype.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmenxmenxmen /forum/post/14351631


I have this running from my 1080p pj to my htpc and it works just fine. Had compared the image using a short 6ft hdmi 1.3 cable before making the run and can't tell an difference between the two. Note: this is only for video, so not carrying any audio.

You will never see a "Better" picture when it comes to a digital cable. It will either work or not work. If it works, it will look just like your shorter length cable.


Thanks for all the responses. What I'm most concerned with is the stiffness of these cables. I'm going to be fishing one down a wall about 2.5' to pull out and plug into a hanging 50" plasma. I noticed MP didn't carry 28AWG over 15', so I went with the 26AWG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley /forum/post/14348107


I need to run a 25' HDMI cable (for 720p) and curious if 26AWG would be fine for that distance. For that matter, would 28AWG be ok for that distance? I have a bend and am thinking the 24AWG will most likely be too stiff. The 28AWG would be the easiest to work with for my route, but not sure if that will work well for 25'.


Any thoughts?

28AWG is enough
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
My only complaint about monoprice HDMI cables is that they might be "too good" in some cases. As in overbuilt - as in I bought a 10' monoprice HDMI cable (that works perfectly) and I swear that cable is about as thick (and stiff) as a roll of nickels. I can't ever recall complaining that a product was too good, but there you go. Next time I need a 10' or less HDMI cable, I am getting the cheapest 28ga one they have. I'm sure it will work perfectly. Don't know at 25' - that is kind of a dilemma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Anyone care to comment on how much stiffer the 22awg HDMI cables are than the 24awg?


Ive got 25-ft to run and I'll be bending the cables thru a conduit (2" electrical). The corners are on a 1-ft radius.


I already have a 6ft monoprice premium (24 awg) HDMI cable to compare against.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects /forum/post/14360694


My only complaint about monoprice HDMI cables is that they might be "too good" in some cases. As in overbuilt - as in I bought a 10' monoprice HDMI cable (that works perfectly) and I swear that cable is about as thick (and stiff) as a roll of nickels. I can't ever recall complaining that a product was too good, but there you go. Next time I need a 10' or less HDMI cable, I am getting the cheapest 28ga one they have. I'm sure it will work perfectly. Don't know at 25' - that is kind of a dilemma.

Are you guys saying that the AWG numbers only define the thickness & stiffness of the cable and do nothing for the Electro-magnetic EMI properties?


When would you recommend the thicker (i.e. Lesser AWGs)?

When should one stick with the thinner (i.e. Larger AWGs)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn_in /forum/post/14371500


Are you guys saying that the AWG numbers only define the thickness & stiffness of the cable and do nothing for the Electro-magnetic EMI properties?
Yes. AWG defines the thickness of the actual wire.


30 gauge wire is 0.01" diameter. Every 6 gauge decrease gives a doubling of the wire diameter, and every 3 gauge decrease doubles the wire cross sectional area.


It has nothing to do with 'stiffness' or cable diameter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn_in /forum/post/14371500


Are you guys saying that the AWG numbers only define the thickness & stiffness of the cable and do nothing for the Electro-magnetic EMI properties?


When would you recommend the thicker (i.e. Lesser AWGs)?

When should one stick with the thinner (i.e. Larger AWGs)?

The AWG defines the diameter of each individual wire conductor, not the overall cable bundle diameter or stiffness. The EMI/RFI properties of the cable have little to do with the wire gauge and much more to do with the overall construction of the cable and shield (if any). On HDMI I would go for larger AWG for shorter lengths, just because they are cheaper, lighter weight, put less stress on HDMI connectors, and I have not personally experienced any issues related to wire gauge for short runs of signal wiring (speaker and power wires can be a different story depending on length). For longer HDMI runs, I think it is prudent generally to go for a smaller AWG (larger conductor wire diamater) if at all possible. It might not make any difference in many situations, but that is the way I would go.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top