AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AVS,

I am in the process of purchasing new equipment for my "home theater/media room." So far, I've purchased a new receiver(RX-V867), some new speakers(Polk Audios), and soon a new HD projector(most likely a 8350). Now comes the hard part, it's going to be several months before I can test everything out, but I'd still like to get a good grasp/answers on some of my questions. Running an HDMI cable from my receiver to my PJ will currently require a run of approximately 41'6" (with some slack, but not a whole lot), meaning a 45' cable most likely. If I change things up a bit, I could probably get it to under 40' but still greater than 35'.

Would I be better off getting a high quality HDMI cable, like one Blue Jeans Cable sells, or going the balun route to maintain a 1080p quality picture?

Obviously the cheaper the better, but I have no qualms over spending around $200 for a higher quality solution. If it was for your theater, which route would you go, and why?

Thanks in advance,

Zach

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Depends on what you are going to use it for. BJC Series 1 at 45' is almost certainly capable of 1080p60 at standard color depth. And you might be able to get away with as much as 36 bit color, although why anyone would want to do that is beyond me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/20900705

Depends on what you are going to use it for. BJC Series 1 at 45' is almost certainly capable of 1080p60 at standard color depth. And you might be able to get away with as much as 36 bit color, although why anyone would want to do that is beyond me.

Colm,

I appreciate the quick reply. Why do you question why anyone would want to do that? I'm still a bit new to this arena, but I was always under the impression the more bits, the better?

Zach

·
Registered
Yamaha TSR700 (Bose 301II’s), DirecTV 4K, Apple TV 4K, Philips 4K BDP, LG 75” Nanocell
594 Posts
Monoprice (at the top of the screen) is your best bet.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach540 /forum/post/20900725

...I was always under the impression the more bits, the better?Zach

If you are playing a game on a PC, close to the screen where you can make out the individual pixels, maybe it makes sense. If you are playing a movie on BD, sitting at a reasonable distance, it won't make much of a difference IMHO. FWIW BD is encoded 8 bits per color per pixel. When you go to deep color, the BD player interpolates. Some TVs do the same thing.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
It is impossible to say which of the cables would give you the best results without testing them. That said, all other things being equal, the 22AWG one would likely give you the best chance of success because of slightly lower attenuation, unless you need ethernet.

Monoprice cables make sense a lot of the time. But at the length you have to deal with, my recommendation would be to go with the BJC Series 1, particularly if you are considering deep color or 3D. If it doesn't work, no passive cable will, and you will either have to add an equalizer or go with an active HDMI cable or one of the extender products.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
As far as the extra bits of color are concerned, your source material doesn't have those bits. So, it's being done by the source component (rather than the source material). Many people find that interpolation to actually distort the color rather than aid the color. It also just adds the needless bits to your now-increased bandwidth and reduces the chances of providing an error free signal.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I recently purchased some Blue Jeans HDMI cables to replace some Cables to Go (from Amazon) and RCA brand HDMIs for use with my HTPC, receiver, and LCD TV. I had been thinking that there was some slight fuzziness in the picture when using the HTPC to surf the Internet, etc. The Blue Jeans did make a noticeable improvement in using the HTCP as a computer and in viewing video. Whether or not the Blue Jeans are significantly better than the Monoprice, I can't tell you.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/20962844

Whether or not the Blue Jeans are significantly better than the Monoprice, I can't tell you.

Well, I can tell you that the BJC Series 1 is better than anything that monoprice sells. That doesn't necessarily mean you will get a better picture out of them, though. If you aren't getting sparkles or worse out of one or the other, you will get exactly the same picture.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My plan at this current point in time is to wait and buy the BJC Series 1. I'm going to wait until I'm approximately 1 week out from returning overseas, and order it then, since there is no real guarantee it will work at that distance, with my equipment for 1080p, so I'll be able to return it if need be. If it doesn't work, then my plan is to goto the Octava route.

Zach

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
FWIW, I've always had excellent results (no problems) with MediaBridge certified High Speed HDMI cables at 4' and 10' lengths. Extremely reasonable prices (cheap) compared to others (you know who
)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.