AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sure this has been asked several times. i am running hdmi cables inside my wall to my tv. there is an electrical wire that run perpendicular to where the hdmi cables will run. mono price recommended these:

6ft 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI® Cable w/ Net Jacket

the tech guy said i should run them inside of conduit. i had planned to run them through 2 low voltage retro fit boxes with no conduit. what should i do?

·
Registered
18,898 Posts
Conduit. It's always a good idea if you can to run conduit if your wall is going to be open. A minimum of 1" diameter is recommended. If you ever have to replace the cable (which you will as specs change in the future) it's so much easier to pull a cable thru a conduit than to try and snake around an HDMI cable, especially with the connector end. 6' is not very long so you'll be fine with just a passive high speed HDMI cable but it wouldn't be a bad idea to run a solid core CAT-6, with a service loop on both ends for future use. You could even install two cables or just one and a pull-string for a future cable.

At 6' with CAT-6 you may even be able to get away with passive termination but you might want to check on that. In either case, the CAT-6 in a conduit is the best way to "future proof" future wiring. I use a 70' CAT-6 connection, in conduit, to extend my ethernet connection so my HTS is hard-wired, so no need for WiFi. I installed an extra CAT-6 cable, along with a pull-string ,in case I eventually want to run HDMI to that room in the future.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
If you are installing from floor to TV inside a single stud without any blocking in the wall (wood studs which block the path), then I would go directly out of the source at the floor, through a bullnose pass-through plate, come out of a pass-through plate behind the TV and plug it directly into the TV. This gives the highest chance for a quality signal to get to the TV.

I really like using the Monoprice 15' Redmere cables for this, but I got a few of the KabelDirekt cables from Amazon, and they have worked perfectly for me as well...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI899TO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and...

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025503&p_id=9891&seq=1&format=2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts