AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello y'all,

I have got a problem that seems to be getting worse. We have a Yamaha RX-V465 and have a Samsung Blu-Ray player (1600) & a Comcast Digital Box running into and out to the Samsung plasma. The 2 components are going into the receiver and out to the TV...ALL through HDMI.

The HDMI cable I have are NOT super expensive or the Monster type. They are $15-20 cables bought at a discount/scratch and dent electronics store...i.e. Essex.

Here is the problem. Lately, when loud sounds come though on the broadcast or Blu Ray, the Yamaha 465 shuts down as if it is having to protect itself. The worst example of this came last night as we tried to watch the movie "2012" which is very sound heavy. We couldn't even get through a minute or 2 of the movie without some kind of "sound spike"(?) causing the shut down of the receiver. This just recently started happening and seems to be getting worse.

My questions are...

--Could this be the failing of the HDMI cable???

--Should I spend the money to get a better HDMI cable??

--Are the Blue Jean Cables as good as the state while being reasonably priced??

--What HDMI cables do you suggest??

OR

--Should I got ahead and take the reciever back in to be checked out?? It is under warranty.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

·
Registered
556 Posts
This really does not sound like an HDMI cable issue at all--it's hard to imagine, in fact, how anything at the HDMI input could be the cause. The fact that the behavior coincides with a loud sound makes me think that some circuit breaker in the amp is getting tripped too easily. I would certainly take it back if it's under warranty. The fact that it's happening with more than one of your sources means it's not likely to be any sort of source device issue.

There is one thing I'd check before taking the receiver in, though. Do make sure that your speaker connections are all clean, with no shorts or near-shorts. While this is unlikely to be the cause, it's just possible--if there's a low-resistance path from plus to minus on one of your speaker circuits, it might be that it doesn't generate enough current to trip the breaker until the sound gets a bit loud. If the speaker wiring is fine, then it's pretty clear that the problem has to be in the receiver.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kurt,

Thanks so much for responding to my question. I am planning to take it back to Best Buy...everthough the idiot Geek Squad person I talked to before just tried to sell me a more expensive Monster Cable to "fix" the problem and also seemed to cringe at the fact I was using a 600Hrz plasma...like those could cause this.

I ran "2012" again through it this morning and it shut down immediately in the opening scene. I also ran Rush R30 concert that I had run at -8 in volume before with no problem...Well now the receiver is shutting down completely.

In short...taking it back for warranty repair.

I will be ordering your cables when needed in the near future. I dig what you do.

Thanks again,

Lee

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
It sounds like you have a short-circuit or near short-circuit in your speaker wiring. Check that carefully as Kurt suggested. I doubt it is the receiver!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Cavu,

THANKS A LOT FOR THE INSIGHT ON THAT ONE!!! You saved me taking my receiver back and them telling me nothing is wrong. After getting your message, I looked at the back of all my speakers and founds one of the rear surround cables to be almost disconected. I put the cables securely back in and every thing seems to be back to normal.

And congrats to Canada's Hockey team for a GREAT game in the Olympics!!!

Lee

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewkelley /forum/post/18247544

and congrats to canada's hockey team for a great game in the olympics!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem with my RX-V465.

Setup was working perfectly, then stopped sending sound through the speakers on one power up.

Subsequently, the receiver powers down each time I turn it on, regardless of whether there is anything plugged in to it or not. Oddly, it will power down ONCE, then I can turn it on again and it will stay powered up. Still no sound from the speakers, though.

Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
loose speaker wires

Hi All,
Was in panic mode when my receiver wouldn't stay on. went on for a second and then off. Thought it was the remote or worse yet the receiver itself.

Just had to thank all for the suggestion of checking speaker wires at both ends. Great infor from 4 years ago and still good.

Just had to say thank you again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts