AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Onkyo 875 and a Sharp aquos A83 ...what would be the best brand of HDMI cable to get them connected??? help would be highly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Brand really has nothing to do with it. All HDMI cables have to pass tolerance tests; they either work 100% or they don't. Some of the "cheaper" brands like monoprice sells may have a less flexible casing, which can cause problems with connections if equipment is set up where cables would be a tight fit. But as far as passing info from point A to point B, there's no difference. Also, insulation may (not necessarily will) be less durable on cheaper cables, but unless you move the cable a lot, it's usually not an issue. For the price difference, you could buy 10 monoprice cables for the price of one monster cable. So, save your money and look at monoprice, bluejeanscable, tartan cable, or other online sites.

·
Registered
47 Posts
not true some HDMI cables pass signal faster then others. also some cables only support up to 1080i were others support 1080p. some cables support deep color and x.v.color. not all cables are created equal!

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4nash /forum/post/14259949

not true some HDMI cables pass signal faster then others. also some cables only support up to 1080i were others support 1080p. some cables support deep color and x.v.color. not all cables are created equal!

Neither you nor I are 100% correct; read the article on the AVSForum mainpage regarding standard vs. high-speed cables. Standard CAN (but is not required to) pass 1080p signals. Also, these new categories are unique to HDMI 1.3; HDMI 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 did not require these categories.

However, the question was about brands of HDMI cables, not category. So, yes, there is a difference in HDMI category requirements, but, as I alluded to in my post, not necessarily in brands. If Brand A (namebrand) and Brand B (generic) are rated to meet HDMI 1.3 High-speed requirements, then they will work equally well at meeting those requirements.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had way to many cheep cables that are bad right out of the package or they go bad within days or months. it comes down to you get what you pay for. just because a HDMI cable says it is 1.3 does not mean a whole lot. with some 1.3 cables they don't pass through deep color or x.v. color.

with cheep cables they don't seem to be as flexible so just unwinding them from the package can brake the center conductors in the cable

I have had the best luck with Monster and Sony HDMI cables. For me i will not use any other cheep cable on a install.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
See the thread in this forum " Best Buy/Magnolia and Monster Cable".

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
well, yesterday i received my first order from monoprice, a 15' hdmi-dvi cable.

havent tried it yet but will soon.

very fast delivery, ca to my house in vt (3000 miles) in about 50 hours.

been using a 6' belkin model that i paid $40 for 3.5 years ago, still works fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
#1) DO NOT buy Monster HDMI cables... Can you say SCAM??

#2) Any HDMI cable that is Category 2 rated can pass a signal up to 1600p... obviously good enough for quite a few years. Almost all HDMI cables are category 2... even the $10 cables that you can get off the internet.

#3) The cable is passing digital information... 1's and 0's. Until you use a cable that is 35+ feet in length, you will not have any signal degredation. Analog signals lose quality after about 18.5 ft. I have a degree in audio engineering, so you can trust what I say...

I am a Best Buy employee and I won't lie to you. Brand names mean absolutely nothing when it comes to HDMI cables. I use the cheap Dynex cable that is sold at Best Buy and it works just as well as a $100 Monster cable. Don't waste your money!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCmusic22 /forum/post/14531045

#1) DO NOT buy Monster HDMI cables... Can you say SCAM??

#2) Any HDMI cable that is Category 2 rated can pass a signal up to 1600p... obviously good enough for quite a few years. Almost all HDMI cables are category 2... even the $10 cables that you can get off the internet.

#3) The cable is passing digital information... 1's and 0's. Until you use a cable that is 35+ feet in length, you will not have any signal degredation. Analog signals lose quality after about 18.5 ft. I have a degree in audio engineering, so you can trust what I say...

I am a Best Buy employee and I won't lie to you. Brand names mean absolutely nothing when it comes to HDMI cables. I use the cheap Dynex cable that is sold at Best Buy and it works just as well as a $100 Monster cable. Don't waste your money!!!

[sarcasm]no way, video quality is relative to how much money you spent to get it. didnt you know that expensive things are always better.[/sarcasm]

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/14261073

havent tried it yet but will soon.

very fast delivery, ca to my house in vt (3000 miles) in about 50 hours.

been using a 6' belkin model that i paid $40 for 3.5 years ago, still works fine.

recently bought m'price 4x2 hdmi switcher and several new hdmi cables to connect:

tosh hda2,

onkyo hd805,

samsung bdp1400

to

panasonic hd pj

and/or

element hdtv.

all playing nice together so far. video only except 2 ch audio to flat panel.

only gripe is m'price hdmi cables are not very flexible.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCmusic22 /forum/post/14531045

Not true at all.

Quote:
#3) The cable is passing digital information... 1's and 0's. Until you use a cable that is 35+ feet in length, you will not have any signal degredation.

That depends.

Quote:
Analog signals lose quality after about 18.5 ft. I have a degree in audio engineering, so you can trust what I say...

Really? 18.5 feet exactly? That's an amazing claim. Especially given the fact that there are very different kinds of audio signals, and very different kinds of audio cabling, many of which can go way way farther than that without difficulty.

Quote:

Maybe not, but you did make up the claim about 18.5 feet.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Did you read blue-jeans HDMI white papers? Pretty useful. If you're goign less than 6 feet, pretty much anything will work. If you need in-wall rated, then that matters. Otherwise 6-feet is really short, unless something is seriously amiss, anything will work.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/14261073

Their HDMI DVI cables are only 1.2 complaint. I asked them about it, no response... I'd rather pay more for something better - 1.3 complaint.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am concidering purchasing the Philips High Speed HDMI cable. Has anyone used these?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts