AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need to buy another cable. The one I am using now works great, but I need 2, I spent about 25.00 for 10 feet something like that. It is braided which I like. So I went looking for cable ... no I have not gone yet! to one of the advertisers here but I will because they advertise here ... anyway I am looking around at Amazon and I run across a cable called Chocolate by Audio Quest and 1m is 98.00, I thought it was a miss print but it is not. This cable is 10 time more expensive than other cables ... Is there a reason? If so does it show in a low priced HD TV I do have 1080p, but it is an off brand from Europe. I am not spending a lot as I am here in Iraq and we get dust storms all the time but when I get home I will have a real nice TV and I was wondering if a cable that you pay 30.00 a foot for is worth it? I don't have enough posts to post the link I am new but it is at Amazon its probably pretty easy to Google.

Ken

·
Registered
5,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g48dd /forum/post/20870533

Is there a reason?

95% of the people here would tell you MARKETING GIMMICK, price gouging for the Joe Blow consumer.

Having said that, I myself have bought more cable$ because I like its looks, softer, thinner, but NOT at 10x the price. If those cable makers show you a measurement with a sub-micron that their cable has less loss than a walmart cable, RUN, as fast as you can, because ur wallet is in danger.

There is a version 1.4 HDMI cable though (latest). Do you know the difference?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Go to monoprice.com or bluejeanscable.com and buy with confidence that you are getting excellent value for your money, regardless of the style of cable you purchase !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspected as much, I think I paid 20 or 25 dollars for 6 feet. No I don't know the difference between my current cable and 1.4 but I am going to go read.

Thank you

Ken

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g48dd /forum/post/20871081

I don't know the difference between my current cable and 1.4 but I am going to go read.

From HDMI.org:

"With the release of the HDMI 1.4 specification, there are now five HDMI cable types to choose from, each designed to meet a particular performance standard. Here is an overview of the HDMI cable types, their capabilities, and how to tell them apart.

To help consumer and clarify cable types further, all HDMI cable products will now be required to be labeled by cable type. Look for these labels when choosing the HDMI cable that is best for your needs.

Standard HDMI Cable

The Standard HDMI cable is designed to handle most home applications, and is tested to reliably transmit 1080i or 720p video - the HD resolutions that are commonly associated with cable and satellite television, digital broadcast HD, and upscaling DVD players.
Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet

This cable type offers the same baseline performance as the Standard HDMI Cable shown above (720p or 1080i video resolution), plus an additional, dedicated data channel, known as the HDMI Ethernet Channel, for device networking. HDMI Ethernet Channel functionality is only available if both linked devices are HDMI Ethernet Channel-enabled.
Standard Automotive HDMI Cable

Supports up to 720p/1080i (does not support HDMI Ethernet Channel). Since an automotive system may be wired with one or more internal relays that can affect signal strength, the Standard Automotive HDMI Cable needs to send a stronger signal than other cables types, so it is tested to higher performance standards.
High Speed HDMI Cable

The High Speed HDMI cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Color. If you are using any of these technologies, or if you are connecting your 1080p display to a 1080p content source, such as a Blu-ray Disc player, this is the recommended cable.
High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

This cable type offers the same baseline performance as the High Speed HDMI Cable shown above (1080p video resolution and beyond), plus an additional, dedicated data channel, known as the HDMI Ethernet Channel, for device networking. HDMI Ethernet Channel functionality is only available if both linked devices are HDMI Ethernet Channel-enabled."

·
Registered
832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/20870725

95% of the people here would tell you MARKETING GIMMICK, price gouging for the Joe Blow consumer.

Great! So, given 2' runs, I'll use $2 cables and laugh. Since good cables are cheap, I wonder why TVs and DVD players don't come with HDMI cables, instead of forcing the consumer to buy aftermarket cables.

(I discovered long ago that 2', $3 analog video cables work much better than 6', $25 cables, as long as they are double shielded coax, like Home Depot sells. So I'm not surprised at all)

Is it also true that $6 manual HDMI switches like http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Port-HDMI-...item4cf9a8f883 work about as well as $40+ switches? (I'd rather switch by hand, rather than letting an automatic switch guess which source I want, or have to use yet-another-remote.) I ask, because the suppliers cavu mentions don't have the $6 switches.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 /forum/post/20900864

...I wonder why TVs and DVD players don't come with HDMI cables...

Because the manufacturer doesn't know how long a cable you need and they would have to charge more? To give the retailer a chance to make a profit on something?
Quote:
Is it also true that $6 manual HDMI switches...work about as well as $40+ switches?

Not necessarily...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.