AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI.

I have a Disk Network DVR. It's HDMI output is connected to a 50 foot HDMI cable which is connected to an Epson 6500 projector. I did a lot of research to find a good cable that would carry the signal 50 ft and this setup works fine.

I purchased a Panasonic DMP-BD60 blu ray player. Attaching it directly to the projector with a 6 FT HDMI cable works fine. In this configuration I can't connect to my amplifier for sound, it's on the other side of the room.

In need to connect the player to the existing 50 foot cable run to the projector. I purchased a 3x1 HDMI switch. I attached the DN DVR to a 6 FT HDMI Cable which I attached to the switch which connects to the 50 foot cable to the projector. This all works fine.

I attached the DMP-BD60 to a 6 FT HDMI cable and attached it to the switch. No signal at the projector.

I tried a short 1/2 meter HDMI cable between the player and the switch. No signal at the projector.

I purchased a HDMI repeater/externder (unpowered). I tried all combinations:

Player, 1/2M cable, extender, 1/2 meter cable, switch, 50 foot cable, projector

Player, 1/2M cable, switch, 1/2 meter cable, extender , 50 foot cable, projector

Player, 1/2M cable, switch, 50 foot cable, extender , 1/2 meter cable, projector

All result in no signal at the projector.

I found powered extenders but before I spend over $100 can anyone tell me if there is something obvious I am missing? If not, will a powered extender actually solve my problem? There has got to be a way to get the signal to the other side of the room.

Thanks for any help

Ron

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
You don't say whether you've tried the player directly to the projector via the 50ft cable, and you don't state what resolution you tested on. Can you get the player to output a lower resolution succh as 480p or 1080i and see if that works over distance connected directly and see if it fails at higher resolutions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Tested the player connected to the projector with a 6 FT HDMI cable, worked fine. The resolution was the standard 1080p. When trying the player in the other configurations since I can't see anything on the screen, can't change the resolution.

Ron

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
You still haven't told us if you tried connecting the Blu-Ray player directly to the projector with the 50' cable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Yes. I did connect the player directly to the 50 FT to the projector. Everything seems to point to the player not having enough "power" to send the signal 50 FT. It works with it connected directly to the projector with the 6 FT cable but not the 50 FT.

The powered booster/extender I am considering is at:
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdeqbothhdex.html

It states "This HDMI booster uses a custom chip which will guarantee the specific resolution even if the HDMI port of the source doesn't have 5 volts." However, before I spend another $100 I want to get some idea if it will actually solve the problem at the 1080p resolution.

Ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you checked at Monoprice yet? I have a similar setup and was recommended by a tech at Mono to get the following part number: 4921

this is a 2X1 powered splitter, but the tech advice was very helpful and I am running a 35 ft distance between devices and projector.

J

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Just a thought. We are considering upgrading the AV Receiver we have to a newer model which will support HDMI. That would mean connecting the player to the receiver with a 6 ft cable rather than to the 50 ft cable to the projector. The receiver would then connect to the 50 ft cable. Am I correct in thinking that this would bypass the problem altogether since the receiver should have enough power to push the signal for whatever source is connect over the 50 ft cable to the projector.

Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the info on MonoPrice. The 4921 shows up as a 1x2 which has one source and two outputs. I did a search on 2x1 and found a manual unpowered switch and a DVI switch but no powder HDMI switch. Was that the correct part number?

Ron

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooperon /forum/post/16995573

Hi,

Just a thought. We are considering upgrading the AV Receiver we have to a newer model which will support HDMI. That would mean connecting the player to the receiver with a 6 ft cable rather than to the 50 ft cable to the projector. The receiver would then connect to the 50 ft cable. Am I correct in thinking that this would bypass the problem altogether since the receiver should have enough power to push the signal for whatever source is connect over the 50 ft cable to the projector.

The critical phrase is "should have enough power" since there's no guarantee on that. But if it does, then your problem should be solved.

·
Vendor
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooperon /forum/post/16995628

Hi,

Thanks for the info on MonoPrice. The 4921 shows up as a 1x2 which has one source and two outputs. I did a search on 2x1 and found a manual unpowered switch and a DVI switch but no powder HDMI switch. Was that the correct part number?

Ron

Hooperon,

Unfortunately we do not carry a 2x1 powered switch, which is what we would strongly recommend (powered) but we do carry a 3x1 switch, which might be helpful. Compatibility with HDMI switches is rarely a one to one issue. A device that is compatible with a particular switch may work fine when the switch is connected to one display or A/V receiver, but not function correctly when the switch is connected to a different model of TV or receiver. So depending on what is connected, results can vary and since possible combinations are almost infinite it's impossible to predict what the outcome will be until you try it.

-Monoprice_01

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooperon /forum/post/16985115

Hi,

Tested the player connected to the projector with a 6 FT HDMI cable, worked fine. The resolution was the standard 1080p. When trying the player in the other configurations since I can't see anything on the screen, can't change the resolution.

Ron

Then duh, change the resolution to 480p, then plug in the 50ft cable directly to see if it works at all. Otherwise, I suggest you try a different cable, it sounds like the cable is at fault. 50ft is far for HDMI, particulalry at 1080p.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts