AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a recent power surge and my hdmi cable and what it was connected to seems to have been affected. I have a ceiling mounted Infocus X10 front projector connected to a Marantz 5005 which I use as a pre-amp. This is a long run so I use a 25 foot HDMI cable connected to a 12 foot cable via a booster that is powered. The distance is problematical but everything worked fine until the surge.

Everything was protected with surge suppressors but I realized that the hdmi signal booster was not. The surge appeared to have knocked out the hdmi port in the projector and it appears to have affected the cable itself.

When I switched to the second hdmi port on the projector everything seemed to work fine except that I now had a weaker signal and I had to go back to running the hdmi cable directly from a blueray player to the projector (not via the pre-amp) and connecting the bluray player via analog (8 individual cables) to get the hi def sound.

Could the booster be damaged (it still shows a green light) and/or can my hdmi cable somehow be damaged?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Why not bypass the boosters and connect a DVD player or something that can be moved closer to the projector and connect a cable directly to see if there is any damage to the source/display.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually connected a source dvd player with a 4 foot cable to the problem HDMI port and no picture but when I ran it to the second hdmi port on the projector I got a picture. I then ran the long hdmi connection directly to the projector from the bluray player and I got a great picture. This bypassed the receiver (Marantz sr5005). For audio I now use the analog outs of the bluray player to the Marantz for the hi def sound.

The projector is still under warranty but their is no longer an official repair shop in the NY metro area with the result that I have to ship it out and lose it for three weeks or more.

I did make a mistake in my original posting. My long connection is a 15 foot hdmi cable connected to a 12 foot one via the powered signal booster for a total 27 foot run.

My projector still occasionally loses the picture and it takes a few seconds to reacquire it though this happens every couple of hours of viewing.

Maybe I should shop for a very high end 30 foot hdmi cable and forget the signal booster.

John

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
You won't find many, if any, certified high speed 30' passive HDMI cables. However, a quality HDMI cable will still do the job. One of the best available at any cost is the Blue Jeans Cable Series 1. Although it is a bit more expensive than run of the mill cables, it isn't all that pricey compared to high end cables.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a sort of follow up I found what my problem was-something very basic.

Upon checking all connections I discovered the plug for my powered booster wasn't pushed all the way into the new surge protector. In effect, my powered signal booster was getting no power or intermittent power. Now that the plug is pushed all the way everything works fine and I have a great bluray picture. All's well that ends well and the moral of the story is to check your hard connections first.

John

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back to square one. My projector no longer picks up the signal from my receiver (hdmi port) and it seems to be a problem of length again. What changed I don't know. When I bring the source closer (12 foot cable) the signal is fine. I will now try plan B and get a better quality hdmi cable (blue jeans series 1) to replace my current 12 foot and 25 foot connected with a signal booster. I'll report back the results.

jefny

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased a 35 foot hdmi blue jeans cable (series 1) and it doesn't quite fit the bill. When I run it from my receiver to the projector there is no picture or sound (hand shake issue) but when I run it directly from the blue ray player while using analog cables from the player to the receiver I get both picture and sound. A call to Outlaw confirms that the length is too great despite the better quality cable. I my try a signal booster to see if this works.

jefny

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are signal equalizers that don't require external power. The best one out there is by Redmere (very low power consumption so often won't interfere with the signal, though that can always be an issue when an additional external power supply is not provided). Redmere has 35' and longer cables at 10.2 Gbps using the equalizer IC (check cablemart). Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts