AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at best buy today picking up some stuff for my brother. I got him a blu ray player and picked up a hdmi cable. They recommended since he had a 120hz tv that I get the high speed rated cable. I guess this cable is rated for for 120hz tvs. So I asked the question, since I have a plasma should I be buying the high speed cable? Do any of you know if the double price high speed cable has any noticeable effect on blu ray with a plasma?

·
Registered
13,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycole /forum/post/18129588

I was at best buy today picking up some stuff for my brother. I got him a blu ray player and picked up a hdmi cable. They recommended since he had a 120hz tv that I get the high speed rated cable. I guess this cable is rated for for 120hz tvs. So I asked the question, since I have a plasma should I be buying the high speed cable? Do any of you know if the double price high speed cable has any noticeable effect on blu ray with a plasma?

You got scammed. Just go to blue jeans cable or monoprice listed above as a sponser and get a 1.3a HDMI cable for $5 to $10. If you paid more than that, you got taken to the cleaners.

·
Premium Member
18,331 Posts

Quote:

I was at best buy today picking up some stuff for my brother. I got him a blu ray player and picked up a hdmi cable.

Uh-Oh.....

Quote:
They recommended since he had a 120hz tv that I get the high speed rated cable. I guess this cable is rated for for 120hz tvs. So I asked the question, since I have a plasma should I be buying the high speed cable?

That Best Buy salesman flat out lied to you. All HDMI cables are rated for use with all TVs.

How much did he charge you for it? If you paid more than ten bucks, you got conned.

Quote:
Do any of you know if the double price high speed cable has any noticeable effect on blu ray with a plasma?

A $5 HDMI cable performs exactly the same as a $200 HDMI cable. The only difference is marketing double-talk and store profit margins.

Please return that cable to Best Buy for a full refund, and tell them that you don't appreciate being scammed by a lying salesman. You can buy an HDMI cable from Monoprice dot com for the price of a hamburger, then you can take the overpriced cable back to BB.

Last year i was at BB looking for a DVD Recorder and the same salesman that was lying to me to get out of price-matching Sears then turned his focus on an elderly couple who had just got a $60 upconverting DVD player the previous week and wanted an HDMI cable. This soul-less bastard was insisting that they needed a $160 Monster HDMI cable if they wanted to get 1080p to their TV. Luckily the husband thought that sounded strange and i was able to wave him off to the side and tell him the real story.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It is not entirely true that all HDMI cables are the same.

I have an HDMI cable that doesn't work with my bluray, but it works fine for my DVR.

But, both this cable and the one that works with the bluray were no more than $10. What is true in this thread is that the expensive cables at BB are a ripoff.

·
Registered
828 Posts

Quote:

Total scam. My friend called me from Best Buy the day he bought his LCD asking the same question because the idiot at Best Buy said he needed it. I told him to tell the BB employee to go f*** himself.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan10 /forum/post/18130587

It is not entirely true that all HDMI cables are the same.

I have an HDMI cable that doesn't work with my bluray, but it works fine for my DVR.

98% of the time any 1.3 spec cable will work with any device. It's a rarity that you'd have an issue, no matter how cheap the cable.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide /forum/post/18130643

98% of the time any 1.3 spec cable will work with any device. It's a rarity that you'd have an issue, no matter how cheap the cable.

Amen! It's all about if they meet the specs for your equipment.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
 CNET:What HDMI cable should I buy?

"If you walk into your typical electronics store to buy an HDMI cable, you're likely to see prices upward of $50 with promises of better performance and faster speeds. Do you really need to spend that much money on a single HDMI cable?

Absolutely not--those cables are a rip-off. You should never pay more than $10 for a standard six-foot HDMI cable. And despite what salesmen and manufacturers might tell you, there's no meaningful difference between the $10 cable and the $50 cable."

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I use cheapo monoprice hdmi cable and a crappy $20 hdmi switch since I only have 2 hdmi out's and it doesn't affect picture or sound quality in my Kuro in the slightest.

Monster cable is aptly named:

Quote:
3. any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character.

Their behavoir and that of employees pushing their crap is flat immoral. They take advantage of the uninformed.

·
Registered
13,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoraster /forum/post/18130808

You guys are nuts. I sank $6,400 on a pure mithril hdmi cable and my picture became three-dimensional.

I spent $10,000 on mine, and now when I watch tv, I am transported 200 years into the future where TV doesn't exist anymore, and yes, robots run the world.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How do you guys feel about HDMI cables with silver platting?

Do ya'll just follow the herd leader that is more convenient and/or cheaper?

These are just questions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.