AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to purchase a HDMI cable and found the following at MonoPrice.com

Certified HDMI Cable (24AWG) w/ferrites...


How does a HDMI cable get certified?


What are Ferrites? I'm assuming they are that plug sort of attachment that I see in the photo. Whats their use?


Are their cables any good? My previous cable was from RAM Electronics and it was a nicely built cable with "silver conductors" whatever that did. Didn't want to spend as much again so ordered the above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmo
Are their cables any good? My previous cable was from RAM Electronics and it was a nicely built cable with "silver conductors" whatever that did. Didn't want to spend as much again so ordered the above.
Sounds great. I'm of the belief that you should spend as little as possible on cables transmitting digital signals...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent
I'm of the belief that you should spend as little as possible on cables transmitting digital signals...
Well I am not. :)

Transmission quality is a very important but not the only aspect in cables.

Reliability and durability are important as well, especially for home theaters that have in-wall wiring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kinda agree. I do want a good cable and I do stay away from the spaghetti cables that come with products. I have found good cable to be a improvement over such. But then again I don't want to pay "monster" prices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Well I am not. :)

Transmission quality is a very important but not the only aspect in cables.

Reliability and durability are important as well, especially for home theaters that have in-wall wiring.
For analog transmission, I agree with you about better quality = better signal. But I was under the impression that for digital transmission, quality matters less because you don't have to so precisely "preserve" the 1's and 0's as they pass through the cable like you need to preserve the analog signal. A slightly static-y 1 or 0 in a digital transmission is still received as a 1 or 0, unlike analog.



I suppose one still wants a cable that is durable and has some minimum level of transmission quality, but when it comes to gas-infused, double-shielded, gold-plated kind of stuff, that sort of stuff wouldn't noticeably enhance a digital signal like it might for an analog one.


Anyway, that's what I've been led to believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,363 Posts
I sugest you read The Cable Game


Digital technology promises to transmit a perfect signal nearly all the time, thanks to the exacting standards incorporated in the HDMI specification. HDMI Licensing, which oversees the HDMI spec and ensures that companies comply with it, requires that no more than one pixel per billion be lost in transmission. "Even if you lost one out of a thousand pixels, you wouldn't notice it," says Leslie Chard, HDMI Licensing president.


Our conclusion: You don't need to spend a fortune on cables. The HDMI cables performed comparably in both our instrument tests and our visual tests. And with analog cables, the analyzer revealed some degree of variation in quality, but the variances did not translate into noticeable differences in our visual tests.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
How do you go about in getting digital sound to your Receiver if you connect dvd/or cable box to your tv using HDMI cables?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedi
How do you go about in getting digital sound to your Receiver if you connect dvd/or cable box to your tv using HDMI cables?
Usually these devices will also have either a coaxial or Toslink digital audio output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
JUDGE FOR YOURSELF



Buy a MONSTER cable and a Radio Shack cable and look at the picture when each one is connected.

If you are NOT a videophile, than you might be satisfied with the Radio Shack cable.

If you can see a SUBSTANTIAL difference with the MONSTER cable than the monster cables are worth the price.



NOTE: Some users require a better cable to obtain good PQ possibly because they have many electrical cables around their TV or myabe because their cable providers signal is being corrupted at some point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman4
JUDGE FOR YOURSELF



Buy a MONSTER cable and a Radio Shack cable and look at the picture when each one is connected.

If you are NOT a videophile, than you might be satisfied with the Radio Shack cable.

If you can see a SUBSTANTIAL difference with the MONSTER cable than the monster cables are worth the price.



NOTE: Some users require a better cable to obtain good PQ possibly because they have many electrical cables around their TV or myabe because their cable providers signal is being corrupted at some point.
YOU must be MR. Placebo himself!!! There is not a difference in the quality at all, (maybe BUILD quality!" You get better unsulation and a nice looking cable- THATS IT!!! I'd bet you money that my old ass 2002 Mitsu RP over component looks better than a monster hdmi connected display.... (my cables ran me about 30.00)


Seriously, digital is digital... Hdmi sends more information yes, But what you notice is of your imagination....

WHen you say videophile, what do you mean? What DVD player do you own?

Do you use your receiver to switch video signals? What display do you own?


I just wanted to know what your definition of videophile is because you may be no blind and naive that the only "best cable" you've ever come across is a Monster cable! Really man, these "Monster" cables are not even industry standard for anything.

Only thing Monster is good for in the cable business is attractive looks and a huge ass mark up on a mediocre @ best cable....

(P.S. you might want to look up Mogami cables and see what they have to say about "time correction!" It will open your eyes up....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
I mostly agree. For DVI and HDMI, if you are looking at relatively long distances -- say greater than 20 feet -- cable quality becomes an issue. The reason is that the signal attenuates too much, and you literally get dropped pixels (especially at high bit-rates, as is required with 720p/1080i/etc.) -- the "peak to peak" differential that defines a bit of 1 as opposed to zero becomes too small to detect, and you lose the bit.


For whatever reason, the way this problem reveals itself on your display are "sparkles," typically green. (Do a search on google for DVI and sparkles for more info.) The problem appears to be more pronounced around the edges of objects on the screen -- big changes in color/contrast, for instance, seem to yield more sparkles. If you see sparkles, your first line of attack is to go with a better quality cable. Next line of attack, unfortunately, is to bite the bullet and go fiber optic, which is very expensive. Some companies claim to sell "boosters" but they're not amplifiers -- they attach at the *far end* of the cable, near the display, and are really filters, and I've personally found to have limited value.


Also, the source of the digital video signal makes a big difference. With a relatively inexpensive cable, my video card driving a 1366x768 signal (768p) had no problems at 30 feet. My HD DirecTV Tivo box had tons of sparkles at even 720p (1280x720). Going to a higher quality cable luckily cleared it up, or I would have had to spend the big bucks for fiber. The Tivo box just isn't putting out as "good" a signal as the video card is.


My understanding is that you can't put an amplifier at the head end like you do with analog cables, as the differential from peak to peak to define a 1-bit also can't exceed a given value either.


Long DVI/HDMI runs can be a mess!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I just got a 3ft DVI-HDMI cable off ebay for $1, at such short distance, I don't think it would make much difference. Over a long distance, I'm sure it's going to be more troublesome since you'll be proned to more noise (even though the signal is digital)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top