AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just ordered my Sony 47" W series, and I need a good recommendation for some HDMI cables. I remember reading in here or somewhere else I should never pay more than $20. I walked by a guy who worked for Comcast and he told me the freebies they give out are just really cheap ones rated for 60hz, and I should get nicer $20 one rated for 120hz if I'm using it with a Gaming PC, and I might notice a difference. I asked a few other different people and they both said the same thing. I asked a Sony Rep, he said the same thing. I asked him where he's getting his information and he said independent research, not what Best Buy tells him to say. So what HDMI cables are these guys talking about, and this this a real thing? What should I buy and from where? The TV will be ready for pickup on Sunday so I really need to get moving on this ASAP. I didn't think I'd be buying the TV this soon and wasn't prepared.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
IMO the ComCast guy was just too lazy to walk to his truck and get you a cable. I base this on this:
Quote:
...just really cheap ones rated for 60hz, and I should get nicer $20 one rated for 120hz
MonoPrice is where folks around here often shop but you can get a decent cable for less than $20 lots of places. Just don't go to the Dollar Store...

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Virtually any HDMI cable will do, as long as it's high-speed.

Reactions: Judaeus Apella

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
B.S. plain and simple. All you need are Certified High Speed HDMI cables. Period. The current HDMI hardware spec is 1.4. Notice that it is a hardware spec, not a cable spec. HDMI 2.0 (hardware spec) was released in Sept. 2013 and is being incorporated into some of the 2014 models. However, any High Speed HDMI cable from a reputable mfr will work just fine. Just stay away from the grossly overpriced cables from the "M" brand and buy from Monoprice, MediaBridge, Blue Jeans, etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never heard of them before. What's their shipping like? Fast or slow? Expensive? Also, do I need Ethernet in my hdmi cables? I saw that on that page you linked to me.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1513722/hdmi-cable-recommendation/0_60#post_24257118

B.S. plain and simple. All you need are Certified High Speed HDMI cables. Period. The current HDMI hardware spec is 1.4. Notice that it is a hardware spec, not a cable spec. HDMI 2.0 (hardware spec) was released in Sept. 2013 and is being incorporated into some of the 2014 models. However, any High Speed HDMI cable from a reputable mfr will work just fine. Just stay away from the grossly overpriced cables from the "M" brand and buy from Monoprice, MediaBridge, Blue Jeans, etc.

Yes.

What bothers me though is that they decided to disallow manufacturers from putting HDMI specification numbers on the cables.

While this makes sense to a degree, what should have happened is that the HDMI consortium mooks should have established an HDMI Cable specification NUMBER.  In other words, no "high speed", "ethernet capable", or other confusing crap.  Basically two numbers exist:

HDMI revision (say, 1.4), to handle the line-discipline and data level protocols.  This is for the devices.

HDMI Cable Revision (say "HC5"), to  handle the capabilities of the cable (which describes overall data rate, resistance/foot, etc., etc., all the hidden geek metrics.)

To see how silly they were, imagine this: Imagine that Ethernet (the handshaking) came with a revision number.  And then for implementations of cables, for twisted pairs instead of the Cat5/6/7 etc. standard they said "High Speed", and whatever whackjob thought entered their marketing heads for descriptors.

It's truly a mess the way HDMI wanted it.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella  /t/1513722/hdmi-cable-recommendation/0_20#post_24258136

I've never heard of them before. What's their shipping like? Fast or slow? Expensive? Also, do I need Ethernet in my hdmi cables? I saw that on that page you linked to me.

HDMI with ethernet is a specification that never really materialized, sort of like the Deep Color specification in consumer devices. My HDMI cables have the ethernet channel but there's nothing that can take advantage of it so it's a capability that goes un-used but doesn't affect the functionality of the cable at all.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024  /t/1513722/hdmi-cable-recommendation/0_20#post_24258963

It's truly a mess the way HDMI wanted it.

HDMI is a mess period but something that we're stuck with for the foreseeable future. Lots of snake oil salesmen out there making tons of money off of their "HDMI Ultra Gold Cables" blah blah bla...

·
Registered
18,438 Posts

Current High Speed HDMI cables can certainly handle most of the HDMI 2.0 hardware specs that were released in Sept. 2013. However, there aren't any commercial devices, yet, that can take full advantage of what HDMI 2.0 specifies. I would just by certified high speed hdmi cables from a reputable vendor and not worry about it until blu-ray players etc are capable of sending data at full 2.0 specs. There won't be any cables specifically listed as HDMI 2.0 cables per se. They will just be high speed that meet the HDMI 2.0 hardware specs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I measured everything, considered what kind of flexibility I needed in the cords, read the reviews, and picked these out:

Monoprice 10ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI® Cable With Ethernet - Metallic Series
Monoprice 15ft 28AWG Standard Speed HDMI® Cable With Ethernet - Metallic Series

10ft is for the cable box, and I wanted some slack. The 6foot cable I already have for it is really tight, because of the way I have to weave it through the TV stand's metal structure. I measured a minimum of 11ft for the PC and that's tight, so 15 feet will give me a good amount of slack when I need to move the PC around sometimes. I don't really care about the Ethernet, they're "high speed" like you guys said to get, ever customer rating is high and they describe similar situations I'll be using them in, they're flexible which I really need them to be, and look sturdy. I'm putting them in my shopping cart, I'll have to rush them if I want to get them in time probably.... unless you guys feel the need to warn me about anything. I'm ordering them tonight.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The spec numbers are nonsensical when it comes to cables, which is why they are not allowed. Period.

----

Judaeus, you linked one high speed and one standard speed. To be honest, the standard speed is almost always fine, but for a few dollars you probably ought to get them both in high speed. Maybe one of these: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025503&p_id=10508&seq=1&format=2

If not, the ones you got will be fine... Honestly... they'll be fine...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Crap, thanks for catching that. I've barely had any sleep... I have no freakin clue how I missed that. Oo *self slap*

I need to find another one then.... and it has to be 15" and cannot be directional. This is for a PC so the PC needs to sync up with the TV, not just send a video/audio signal.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella  /t/1513722/hdmi-cable-recommendation/0_20#post_24261271

I don't really care about the Ethernet, they're "high speed" like you guys said to get, ever customer rating is high and they describe similar situations I'll be using them in, they're flexible which I really need them to be, and look sturdy..

If you really need flexible cables, you might want to consider Redmere cables. They are really thin, really flexible, and put absolutely no strain on the HDMI input. They're active cables which means they do have some small electronics in the sink end (tv side) so they can fail overtime like any other electronic device. That being said, I've been using a couple of 10' Redmere's and one 6' Redmere for almost a year now and they've been fine.

I might add that the Redmere cables are unidirectional. They only go one way but you can't hurt anything if you install them backwards. You just won't get a signal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I read on monoprice those are directional. Doesn't the TV need to send a signal back to the PC to sync it up so windows recognizes the TV? If windows doesn't see the TV and properly sync up with it, my guess is it won't work. Also, I noticed those cables say "high performance", not "high speed", what's the difference?

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
The only reason the cables are "directional" is because the chipset that draws the power from the sink end (which makes the cable active) is at the end that connects to the tv. Because the cables are active, the wires can be thinner (hence a thinner cable) and the run can be longer and still maintain the HDMI specs for high speed. HDMI is HDMI. Two of my Redmere cables connect the blu-ray player and AppleTV to the receiver. The other Redmere connects the receiver to the tv. A/V is perfect even when I stream a movie at 1080p. If I want to connect my MacBook Air to the tv, I just use a separate HDMI cable or I stream via the AppleTV. I don't use HTPC. You shouldn't have any problems with Windows other than the fact it's Windows

1 - 20 of 103 Posts