AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I ordered and got a 25' HMDI 1.3 cable and some 6' HDMI 1.3 cables from monoprice. These wires will be fished thru the walls in 2 days, and I have been testing the cables before the electrician starts his work. Here's the circuit:

DISH n/w HD --> 6' HDMI 1.3a 28AWG --> HDMI wall plate --> 25' HDMI 1.3a 22AWG --> HDMI wall plate --> 6' HDMI 1.3a 28AWG --> Sharp Aquous 52D64U 52" 1080p LCD

25' cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...p?keyword=3657

Wall plate: http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...p?keyword=2813

6' cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...p?keyword=3992

I used a HD-DVR recorded session of "Plant Earth" to compare picture quality. When I compare this picture quality with the original 6' HDMI cable that came with the TV, I am noticing picture quality degradation (I think)... unless my mind is playing tricks with me.

I really want to figure out if I have a problem before putting these wires in the wall!! Is there a more "technical" test that I can use?

Please help..

Nick

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If you have picture degradation with an HDMI cable it's usually significant (sparkles, etc.) leaving no doubt that it's bad. Since it's digital, it doesn't just slightly degrade as an analog signal can. If it works it's generally perfect.

Thus if you're not sure whether the picture is worse, it likely isn't.

If you want to do a reliable check you need to do a blind test. Have someone else change the cable but don't tell you which one is being used. Only if you can reliably tell the difference under those conditions (that is for numerous trials with random sequence of connections) is the difference real.

·
Registered
63 Posts
@crutschow very nice idea. that test will remove any mind tricks. Im sure spendign $20 on a 25' cable vs $200 will make ur mind wonder :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great.. I will try the "blind" test.

By the way what are "sparkles"?

Regards

Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow /forum/post/14290928

If you have picture degradation with an HDMI cable it's usually significant (sparkles, etc.) leaving no doubt that it's bad. Since it's digital, it doesn't just slightly degrade as an analog signal can. If it works it's generally perfect.

Thus if you're not sure whether the picture is worse, it likely isn't.

If you want to do a reliable check you need to do a blind test. Have someone else change the cable but don't tell you which one is being used. Only if you can reliably tell the difference under those conditions (that is for numerous trials with random sequence of connections) is the difference real.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by defriend /forum/post/14292515

By the way what are "sparkles"?

Sparkles are random appearing bright dots in the picture (there may be dark ones too but they're not so noticable). They are caused when a pixel digital word is corrupted and the word is interpreted as being near full white (or black). They are very apparent when they occur.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts