AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the biggest differences and if so any advantages of using a streaming device like the Nvidia Shield Pro vs just using a HDMI cord from my pc to my tv or projector ? Like talking image quality wise. Know having a actual remote is one advantage of a streaming device but anything else please?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Yes, you get more streaming services (many don't work with PCs, for example, like I think Disney+). Many that work on PC also only do 1080p - if you want 4k, it's only offered on a streaming box. Netflix is one of the few that will do 4k on a PC if you use the netflix app.

If you want surround sound, the same applies, as you usually only get stereo on PC.

If you're playing local content, the PC is the better device.

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
If you're playing local content, the PC is the better device.
That statement needs to be qualified. "For playing local content, the PC can be setup to provide better picture quality."

By that I mean, you can load down a PC with video post-processing that will give subjectively better visuals compared to dedicated "set-top" players. By load down, I mean you would need a fairly beefy gfx card to do some of the more intense filtering that are popular with the "PC playback" crowd. It involves more than a bit of tinkering to get setup, as there are a lot of potential "knobs to turn" when setting up a dedicated PC playback setup.

From an end-user interface experience, the set top box is easily the better experience. And as said, for internet streaming the set top box will win across the board because, quite frankly, most internet streaming companies don't want people using their PCs for playback, and so they nerf the quality of the streams available for PC playback. For local playback, a PC can be setup to provide a better image, but it is not automatic, and it is not a foregone conclusion that the effort would be worth it, but that is something you would have to investigate for yourself as everyone's priorities are different.

Personally, I used to use a dedicated media PC for direct playback many years ago. I've switched over to set top boxes long ago. I periodically look into the claims of PC playback advantages (reviewing and playing with MadVR filtering most recently) and for "overall enjoyment" I have no desire to move back to a PC as the playback device. I use a Nvidia Shield for internet streaming, and a Zidoo Z9X for local playback. They are not without faults, but the potential for slightly better video quality playback by going back to using a PC as the direct playback device is not worth the hassle for me.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
What the biggest differences and if so any advantages of using a streaming device like the Nvidia Shield Pro vs just using a HDMI cord from my pc to my tv or projector ? Like talking image quality wise. Know having a actual remote is one advantage of a streaming device but anything else please?
Streaming box offers more streaming services than PC and most importantly offer more in 4K and HDR/DV. A PC only have a limited choice of streaming services that supports 4K. HDR on Windows is clumsy to use and DV is never supported.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
One other thing, streaming devices are great for multiple displays throughout a house.

When I was single and lived in an apartment, a HTPC worked great. Now married and living in a house, multiple Shields work perfectly connected to my NAS. I still use a wireless keyboard for the Shield in our main theater room.

Reactions: ng4ever

·
Registered
58 Posts
UltraHD, HDR, Dolbyvision, etc changed the game and took away the Benefits of an HTPC. Too many variables to get everything working well on PC whereas streaming boxes are plug and play and play well actually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts