AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that there used to be a short-lived forum concerning quality of HDMI cables. I am wondering if anybody has had any practical experience with either the Bluejeans high speed cable vs. monoprice cable.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 /forum/post/19590862

It appears that there used to be a short-lived forum concerning quality of HDMI cables. I am wondering if anybody has had any practical experience with either the Bluejeans high speed cable vs. monoprice cable.

Unless you have long runs 20+, those sites are great. Never buy into Monster cable hype.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 /forum/post/19590862

Bluejeans high speed cable vs. monoprice cable.

Both are good.

FWIW, Kurt from Blue Jeans is one of the most forthright fellows around and doesn't blow smoke up your ass.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
BJC Tartan is approximate equivalent of monoprice and about the same price. BJC Series 1 and Series F2 are arguably two of the best HDMI cables available.

Any certified high speed cable will usually do. At longer lengths (more than 25' for high speed) the BJC Series 1 and Series F2 have an edge over monoprice. At long lengths, if you don't want to experiment, go with BJC Series 1. If it doesn't work, you are looking at an active solution.

There is never a technical reason to pay more than BJC Series 1 costs.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just want to double-check something with you guys. The HDMI on the Monoprice site is so inexpensive, yet it says that it is High Speed; is the comparable Tartan standard or high speed. I want to be able to support 3D Blu-ray.

My other question is this-do most of you run the HDMI connection from Blu-ray directly to your tv or route it through an A/V receiver or processor?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
The MP & BJ cables are equally capable.

You cannot get hi-def audio without running the HDMI through your AVR.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Most manufacturers use the same cable stock for their standard and high-speed cables of a given gauge. The higher the bit rate, the less distance you will get with any of these cables. BJC sells a single product in each gauge. BJC Tartan 24 AWG is certified high-speed up to 20', standard up to 40'. 28 AWG is certified high-speed up to 10', standard up to 15'. Monoprice chooses to market separate products. Either way, high-speed is high-speed.

You want high-speed for 3D.

Most folks run HDMI through their AVR.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 /forum/post/19590969

Unless you have long runs 20+, those sites are great. Never buy into Monster cable hype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/19591160

BJC Tartan is approximate equivalent of monoprice and about the same price. BJC Series 1 and Series F2 are arguably two of the best HDMI cables available.

Any certified high speed cable will usually do. At longer lengths (more than 25' for high speed) the BJC Series 1 and Series F2 have an edge over monoprice. At long lengths, if you don't want to experiment, go with BJC Series 1. If it doesn't work, you are looking at an active solution.

There is never a technical reason to pay more than BJC Series 1 costs.

Or more than a $1 in some cases. I've definitely used the cheap $1-3 cables on my setups and really can't tell a difference.

From what I've read HDMI is an "all or nothing" situation, so the very cheap cables will do the exact thing as the more expensive ones (distance aside):

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/cnet-...icey-ones.html
http://consumerist.com/2010/08/all-h...-the-same.html

And from what I've read, if you are thinking about 3D, you don't need "1.4" cables:

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/sorry...for-3d-tv.html

It's truly sickening what places like Best Buy will charge for overhyped, overpriced cables .

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/19591609

The MP & BJ cables are equally capable.

You cannot get hi-def audio without running the HDMI through your AVR.

Thanks to all of you for your help-I still have a couple of other things that I would like your input on:

1) I assume the Tartan cable will support 3D

2) I know that I will lose the new audio codecs without the HDMI going into the receiver, but I have an older unit and can't upgrade at this time, so I will run digital coax to the receiver and the HDMI to the tv-will this cause any lip-sync problems?

3) Lastly, I am currently using the tv's speakers for cable tv, but wondering if it is worth getting a optical cable for the optical out on the tv to my receiver-do the HD channels over cable that have dolby surround make it worth it?

I know this may not be the correct forum for this last question.

Many thanks

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 /forum/post/19593045

I assume the Tartan cable will support 3D

They all will.
Quote:
I will run digital coax to the receiver and the HDMI to the tv-will this cause any lip-sync problems?

Probably although it is dependent on how much processing you submit the video to.
Quote:
is [it] worth getting a optical cable for the optical out on the tv to my receiver-do the HD channels over cable that have dolby surround make it worth it?

Certainly. Whether it is 5.1 or not I assume your AVR speakers are a mite better than your `TV speakers`!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts