AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 /forum/post/20801817

I ran across this article and thought it was worth posting since so many people have questions about HDMI cable quality.

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...m_medium=email

Yes, thanks for posting. I had always known of this though, but I think this should be posted to every new user purchasing an HDMI cable.

Another thing is, HDMI ports are easily damaged through connecting and disconnecting. People should be more gentle, because if your port gets damaged, that will cause you more time, money, and grief!

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21 /forum/post/20805081

Another thing is, HDMI ports are easily damaged through connecting and disconnecting. People should be more gentle, because if your port gets damaged, that will cause you more time, money, and grief!

That's why you need the HDMI port saver

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoi911 /forum/post/20805100

That's why you need the HDMI port saver

Wow, didn't know such things existed at such low prices. Thanks for that link!

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
port savers or any additional connections changes capacitance which alters the signal. If you start losing signal bypass the port savers.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I wonder if I'll live to see the day of glass fiber to the HDTV? All these makeshift connections that work but are soso and sooner or later run out of bandwidth. Well, hopefully our kids will see the day. Didn't Theta have glass fiber output on one of it's transports way back in the 80's or 90's, I believe they did! People probably couldn't hear the difference compared to Toslink plastic fiber so it never took off but sooner or later it will. I work in the telecom industry and we use it everywhere. Maybe they have to add a more robust jacket to the cable for the public so they won't always break it accidentally. Anyway when it comes there will be no more cable upgrading for HD viewing for the next, what 100 years or more!

·
Blues In Thirds
2,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee /forum/post/20805478

I wonder if I'll live to see the day of glass fiber to the HDTV? All these makeshift connections that work but are soso and sooner or later run out of bandwidth. Well, hopefully our kids will see the day. Didn't Theta have glass fiber output on one of it's transports way back in the 80's or 90's, I believe they did! People probably couldn't hear the difference compared to Toslink plastic fiber so it never took off but sooner or later it will. I work in the telecom industry and we use it everywhere. Maybe they have to add a more robust jacket to the cable for the public so they won't always break it accidentally. Anyway when it comes there will be no more limited bandwidth problems for HD viewing for the next, what 100 years or more!

Yes Theta did have a glass fiber link back in the late 80's and 90's. That was one expensive piece of cable.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee /forum/post/20805478

I wonder if I'll live to see the day of glass fiber to the HDTV? All these makeshift connections that work but are soso and sooner or later run out of bandwidth. Well, hopefully our kids will see the day. Didn't Theta have glass fiber output on one of it's transports way back in the 80's or 90's, I believe they did! People probably couldn't hear the difference compared to Toslink plastic fiber so it never took off but sooner or later it will. I work in the telecom industry and we use it everywhere. Maybe they have to add a more robust jacket to the cable for the public so they won't always break it accidentally. Anyway when it comes there will be no more cable upgrading for HD viewing for the next, what 100 years or more!

Fiber optic HDMI is either out now or will be out shortly. Talked about very long runs, saying 1,000ft. http://www.cepro.com/slideshow/image/8864/ Not quite what you are talking about, but it would solve a lot of problems with regards to signal loss due to distance.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
AT&T glass is what was used by many high end companies in the 80s and 90s I think Wadia still has it on a few of their components.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Fiber optics have been around for a while, it's just they weren't accessible or popular due to their high range in price. So it was difficult for adoption for most people/companies.

·
Registered
814 Posts
In the article, the author discusses the problem with the EDID signal. This, and the HDCP handshake are carried over a signal bus using the IIC standard. That standard was designed for signaling inside a cellphone! It was never intended to run between equipment chassis. The real problem with HDMI is that the standard was designed by a committee of apparent morons and was ill begotten from the start. We can only hope that time will replace it with something that actually works right. Meanwhile, we consumers must suffer with this mess. In my conspiracy moments, I imagine it was all done on purpose to create a specialty cable industry with obscene markups.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts