AVS Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 1889 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Otto Pylot. Too much of an effort to connect a HDMI 2.0 source to the pj, have a fan blowing at the connector, etc. May have to do it later but for now, I am waiting for the certified 2.1 UHS AOC from phoossno and will see how it behaves vs the uncertified 2.1 Gen 3/C Ruipro AOC viz the heat at the source connector.
Let us know how the phoossno cable goes. I am also in the market for a 15m cable to run from my 3090 to a LG C9 so will be really interested in the results.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
In that case my BlueRigger is a passive HDMI cable. I will not be using my setup for gaming, I just want a HDMI cable to get the best picture that my TV is capable of showing 4k maybe 8k later on and being able to handle my AVR capabilities (minus the gaming). Also handshake between the two with earc. Sounds like I may have more issues with the active cable long term, with it being fairly new compared to the passive cable. I will be doing more troubleshooting with my system in a couple of days.
Keep in mind that the cable can not improve pq regardless of the type of cable or the marketing hype of the cable mfr. You either get the original signal as encoded or not. No sparkles or audio/video dropouts. At 25'-30' you probably should consider an active cable, probably hybrid fiber instead of active copper, especially if you want to use eARC, which can have issues at about the 10m (30') point and beyond. Active cables really are fairly stable over the long term. I just mentioned the possible issues as a data point for future reference. I used active cables from Monoprice for years without any issues even though I really didn't need them but was still learning about all of this. As long as you have a system in place to easily and safely replace your cabling, you'll be fine. And speaking of active cables, most active cable mfrs do not recommend daisy chaining them, so your best to plan for a single run with nothing in-between source and sink but the cable. That may mean planning for a length a bit longer than you think you'll need.

I wouldn't worry about 8k. There are no guarantees that what you buy today will be sufficient for the higher video standards once they are commercially available and out in the wild. What is "certified" in a laboratory testing setting can perform very differently with the wide variety of connected consumer devices and setups that are available.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Let us know how the phoossno cable goes. I am also in the market for a 15m cable to run from my 3090 to a LG C9 so will be really interested in the results.
Just received it late yesterday. Almost returned it immediately because I could not see the HDMI sticker. phoossno customer service was very quick to point out that the HDMI sticker is below a barcode sticker Amazon had pasted on top of the HDMI sticker! Good customer service from
phoossno thus far. I will test the cable later and report back.

20210605_095308.jpg 20210605_095251.jpg 20210604_151056[3482].jpg

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Just received it late yesterday. Almost returned it immediately because I could not see the HDMI sticker. phoossno customer service was very quick to point out that the HDMI sticker is below a barcode sticker Amazon had pasted on top of the HDMI sticker! Good customer service from

View attachment 3141457 View attachment 3141458 View attachment 3141459
Did you scan the QR label just to be sure? Do let us know how it works. The more viable choices there are the better for the consumer.

·
Registered
373 Posts

View attachment 3141457 View attachment 3141458 View attachment 3141459

Appears this is only the second HDMI certified 15m UHS cable on the market (after the uber expensive Wireworld Stellar). Connected to a HDMI 2.1 8K video processor with a 3080 GPU installed and a HDMI 2.0 4K projector. Tested it with various sources for a couple of hours today.

Works as described on the Amazon website so far without any issues.

The source end connector gets a bit hot to touch (although I think may be slightly less hot than the uncertified Ruipro 15m HDMI 2.1 AOC). phoossno customer service has informed me that this is normal as the power consumption at the 3080 source connector is 5V 140mA at [email protected] and [email protected] and the zinc alloy material they are using for the connector casing efficiently dissipates the heat. They have also informed me that according to their testing the source end cable head temperature is within the 50 degrees Celsius max specified for the connector chipset they use and that the specified working life for this chipset is 100K hours according to the specs for this chipset.

phoossno customer service has been impressive so far - very responsive and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Appears this is only the second HDMI certified 15m UHS cable on the market (after the uber expensive Wireworld Stellar). Connected to a HDMI 2.1 8K video processor with a 3080 GPU installed and a HDMI 2.0 4K projector. Tested it with various sources for a couple of hours today.

Works as described on the Amazon website so far without any issues.

The source end connector gets a bit hot to touch (although I think may be slightly less hot than the uncertified Ruipro 15m HDMI 2.1 AOC). phoossno customer service has informed me that this is normal as the power consumption at the 3080 source connector is 5V 140mA at [email protected] and [email protected] and the zinc alloy material they are using for the connector casing efficiently dissipates the heat. They have also informed me that according to their testing the source end cable head temperature is within the 50 degrees Celsius max specified for the connector chipset they use and that the specified working life for this chipset is 100K hours according to the specs for this chipset.

phoossno customer service has been impressive so far - very responsive and knowledgeable.
Good information. Cable Matters, Phoossno, Ruipro and some others all purchase their base HDMI 2.1 chipsets from the same European source so it appears that their on-going research into the heat dissipation from the overhot GPUs is starting to pay off. Hopefully that will bring some stability, and prices down so the gamers who need long cable runs and HDMI 2.1. Sounds like their customer service is on par with Ruipro's which is another bonus for the customer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Stephen for reporting back. and it's great news that there are more options coming onto the market, especially those with good customer service.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Cable Matters, Phoossno, Ruipro and some others all purchase their base HDMI 2.1 chipsets from the same European source
Not sure about Cable Matters and Ruipro but from what I have been told, phoossno sources their lasers chipsets from a US company. And neither Cable Matters nor Ruipro have a certified UHS 2.1 cable in the 15 meter category.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hopefully that will bring some stability, and prices down
The prices have already come down dramatically...For 15 meter lengths, the phoossno certified UHS 2.1 cable is listed at USD 129.99, whereas the uncertified Ruipro 2.1 cable is listed at USD 189.99 and the uber expensive Wireworld Stellar certified UHS 2.1 cable is listed at USD 550.00, all on Amazon.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Not sure about Cable Matters and Ruipro but from what I have been told, phoossno sources their lasers chipsets from a US company. And neither Cable Matters nor Ruipro have a certified UHS 2.1 cable in the 15 meter category.
That is true about the cable length, so far. Distance shouldn't make a difference when data is being pushed down optical fibers but with HDMI and the demands of HDMI 2.1, it apparently does. The low bandwidth requirements of the cable's "communication" (ARC, HDCP, EDID, etc) are carried on the copper wires in the hybrid fiber cable so I think that's where some of the issues arise from with the long runs. Only time will tell how well these 15m (about 50') cables will perform with the wide variety of consumer devices and setups. If you have an easy and safe way to install/upgrade your cabling (i.e. conduit) then if something fails, replacement is easier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In theory, 75' should be a piece of cake with a fiber cable, but in reality it's not for various reasons. At least at this point in time.
It's good to see some of you guys. I haven't been following the thread for a couple months now. I didn't want to get pull the trigger on a 8k TV or an AVR (which seems to be another mess I have to figure out) that I have to run with a 40' cable until the cable situation got figured out. Guess I better I catch up with the thread. Thanks to everyone who's already been out there testing out cables and giving us feedback. I hope 40' isn't too hard to do...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeap, looks like the cable solution is upon us, but the AVR issue is a whole other beast :|

I have the 12m Ruipro and it is working as intended, and I am not using the USB power attachment. I have it connected between and Xbox Series X and a LG CX...so far so good.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Yeap, looks like the cable solution is upon us, but the AVR issue is a whole other beast :|

I have the 12m Ruipro and it is working as intended, and I am not using the USB power attachment. I have it connected between and Xbox Series X and a LG CX...so far so good.
Thanks for the feedback. The voltage inserter is just a "just in case you need it" and is intended mostly for pj users because some of them seemed to have a wider variation in current output that just caused issues for some. Most folks will not have a need for them.

Yes, the avr issue is a whole 'nuther can of worms. Some of the proposed fixes from Denon and Marantz are just plain lame. It will get better though. Patience is the key word.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am about to have an install done (next couple months). The HDMI I need is about 12-15m. So the cable I mentioned above is just for testing, prior to install. I am thinking of having the installers run a couple, just as a fail safe. I was thinking of running one Ruipro and one Phoosno, just to have one as backup. I assume more than one cable tied together is more durable on pulling than one??? How durable are these cables? Is the pulling and tugging going to be a big risk? Should I run more than 2? Unfortunately, conduit is not an option. The key is how violent the installers are with install. If I did it myself, I could be more cautious. Of course I will ask them to be as aware as possible on bends/pulls; however, they tried to sell me a $299 Audio Quest 18Gbps cable :D So I can get two 48Gbps for that price. So that is what I am going to do for the eventual AVR that hopefully will be released within next year or two...hopefully sooner. Any advice?

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I am about to have an install done (next couple months). The HDMI I need is about 12-15m. So the cable I mentioned above is just for testing, prior to install. I am thinking of having the installers run a couple, just as a fail safe. I was thinking of running one Ruipro and one Phoosno, just to have one as backup. I assume more than one cable tied together is more durable on pulling than one??? How durable are these cables? Is the pulling and tugging going to be a big risk? Should I run more than 2? Unfortunately, conduit is not an option. The key is how violent the installers are with install. If I did it myself, I could be more cautious. Of course I will ask them to be as aware as possible on bends/pulls; however, they tried to sell me a $299 Audio Quest 18Gbps cable :D So I can get two 48Gbps for that price. So that is what I am going to do for the eventual AVR that hopefully will be released within next year or two...hopefully sooner. Any advice?
Hybrid fiber cables are not quite as fragile as you would think. However, the fiber is usually glass (some are polymer-based) and the connections to the connector boards are very delicate in nature (very small weld/connection points) so pulling on the connector ends or bending the connector back on itself can damage the connection point which may result in issues either immediately or over time as the connection point weakens. The use of a smooth-walled conduit just makes that process so much easier and safer, especially around bends. In your case you can't run conduit so depending on how much space the installers have and what obstacles they encounter will all depend on their experience. Installing two cables is good insurance (if one can afford it ;)) and it wouldn't be a bad idea to run sold core, UTP, CAT-6 cable (non-CCA/CCS and not ethernet patch cable) as well if possible. You could use the CAT-6 cable to extend your ethernet connection (as I do) by terminating with punch down keystone jacks so you could hard wire your HTS. Or terminate with HDBT for video if that is some thing you want to consider down the road. The CAT-6 cable is fairly stiff so it might make a good "pull sting" that you could attach one or both of the fiber cables to and CAREFULLY pull them together. I would make sure that the cables work as expected prior to installation and make sure the installers understand that the cables do work, so if there are issues after installation, it is probably installation-related and you have some ground to stand on if there is a dispute. Do let us know how this all works out.

Phoossno is getting some good reviews so that would appear to be a good choice to run along with the Ruipro. Cable Matters might also be a good option as well.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Not sure if this is the place to ask. Have been using a 50' AmazonBasics fiber optic cable run to my PJ (ran two for redundancy) and everything was working fine.

Recently purchased an HDfury Vertex2 and when sending LLDV through it to the PJ, I'm noticing sparkles and occasional video dropouts which folks claim is likely the cable unable to pass that much data.

The HDfury folks reccoment their own 60' fiber optic cable which I assume is just OEMd from something else.

But would prefer to purchase something off Amazon.ca that I can test first and send back if it does work.

Is the RuiPro which I think runs for $250 or more for 50' the only option that is known to work?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure if this is the place to ask. Have been using a 50' AmazonBasics fiber optic cable run to my PJ (ran two for redundancy) and everything was working fine.

Recently purchased an HDfury Vertex2 and when sending LLDV through it to the PJ, I'm noticing sparkles and occasional video dropouts which folks claim is likely the cable unable to pass that much data.

The HDfury folks reccoment their own 60' fiber optic cable which I assume is just OEMd from something else.

But would prefer to purchase something off Amazon.ca that I can test first and send back if it does work.

Is the RuiPro which I think runs for $250 or more for 50' the only option that is known to work?

Few others on here have tried these cables with good results. Check it out.

Attachments

1841 - 1860 of 1889 Posts