AVS Forum banner

1861 - 1880 of 1889 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
and it wouldn't be a bad idea to run sold core, UTP, CAT-6 cable (non-CCA/CCS and not ethernet patch cable) as well if possible. You could use the CAT-6 cable to extend your ethernet connection (as I do) by terminating with punch down keystone jacks so you could hard wire your HTS. Or terminate with HDBT for video if that is some thing you want to consider down the road. The CAT-6 cable is fairly stiff so it might make a good "pull sting" that you could attach one or both of the fiber cables to and CAREFULLY pull them together.
Okay, I completely understand the concept of pulling the cat-6 vs the HDMI as a pull string as you reference. However, I am not sure about the HDBT for video, I will have to look into that. I guess I was uncertain if that allowed for HMDI 2.1 benefits (yet), such as VRR, ALLM, 120frames, etc. Funny you mention the Cat-6, I am wiring the whole house (basically, all relevant rooms) as well and going with Cat-6. The company is pretty good for all reviews I have read but depending on the complexity, it may be a tough pull. However, fingers crossed. I do like idea of using another cable as a swap out for investing in any more HDMIs. That way I can stick with two that I can confirm as working pre-install, and to your point, have the ability to argue the install. Granted, if you buy from them they warranty it, so I am sure that would be annoying conversation since I avoided their Audio Quest upcharge; however, the amount I am spending they should work with me (if they mess up the pull). We will see.

@pbc I think your two reasonably priced choices are Ruipro 15m, and the Phoosno 15m options, (you mentioned 50 feet, so maybe the 15m versions would suit?). Both are seemingly good choices from reports on this forum. I currently am using the Ruipro 12m option, and so far so good. However, you have to make sure you get the GEN3/C version. I bought the Ruipro from Amazon (US site), and got the GEN3/C first buy, and I have had it a month at least. I am testing it from Xbox Series X to LG CX 2020 model. All checks, no weird issues, no black screens at least so far. I am pretty much gaming on it nightly too. The Phoosno is cheaper at least when I checked. You can do what I am doing, and buy both for redundancy. I know you did that already, but can't hurt other than the wallet. Or just make sure to test prior to install. Is your install easy, or tough? I am having that issue now, not sure how difficult the pull will be. Good luck.

*I just realized that I am running COD at 4k/60 due to having Dolby Vision turned on. Apparently Xbox won't allow 4k/120 yet due to DV. So, going to switch DV off and test 4k/120 COD and see how that works. Supposedly, Microsoft and LG are working on the 4k/120 with DV as an option, but time will tell if bandwidth or similar is enough to have DV with 120....just another piece in the HMDI2.1 puzzle.....DV now.....

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Not sure if this is the place to ask. Have been using a 50' AmazonBasics fiber optic cable run to my PJ (ran two for redundancy) and everything was working fine.

Recently purchased an HDfury Vertex2 and when sending LLDV through it to the PJ, I'm noticing sparkles and occasional video dropouts which folks claim is likely the cable unable to pass that much data.

The HDfury folks reccoment their own 60' fiber optic cable which I assume is just OEMd from something else.

But would prefer to purchase something off Amazon.ca that I can test first and send back if it does work.

Is the RuiPro which I think runs for $250 or more for 50' the only option that is known to work?
Ruipro, Cable Matters, Phoossno, and Maxonar are the most popular hybrid fiber cables for the HDMI 2.1 option sets (if HDMI 2.1 is something you need/want). Cable Matters and Phoossno, and I believe Maxonar are certified as UHS HDMI cables. Ruipro will be releasing their certified UHS HDMI cable in about 4 weeks (still in the certification phase). All of them offer cables for the HDMI 2.0 options as well but I don't believe any of them are certified for HDMI 2.0 if certification is something you want.

At 60', there are no 100% guarantees for compatibility and/or reliability. Active cables are funny beasts, even the certified ones so test the cable prior to installation to make whatever you get works as expected. Are you installing in-wall and will you be using a conduit?

Isn't the Vertex2 HDMI 2.0 only? Some pj's have been reported to have an inconsistent current output which may affect signal propagation with some active cables. A voltage inserter may help. They are cheap and if that works, you're good to go. Can you do a direct, source to sink, connection to rule out a problem with the HDFury? Quite often a single connection with no adapters or extenders in-between offers a more reliable connection.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Okay, I completely understand the concept of pulling the cat-6 vs the HDMI as a pull string as you reference. However, I am not sure about the HDBT for video, I will have to look into that. I guess I was uncertain if that allowed for HMDI 2.1 benefits (yet), such as VRR, ALLM, 120frames, etc. Funny you mention the Cat-6, I am wiring the whole house (basically, all relevant rooms) as well and going with Cat-6. The company is pretty good for all reviews I have read but depending on the complexity, it may be a tough pull. However, fingers crossed. I do like idea of using another cable as a swap out for investing in any more HDMIs. That way I can stick with two that I can confirm as working pre-install, and to your point, have the ability to argue the install. Granted, if you buy from them they warranty it, so I am sure that would be annoying conversation since I avoided their Audio Quest upcharge; however, the amount I am spending they should work with me (if they mess up the pull). We will see.

@pbc I think your two reasonably priced choices are Ruipro 15m, and the Phoosno 15m options, (you mentioned 50 feet, so maybe the 15m versions would suit?). Both are seemingly good choices from reports on this forum. I currently am using the Ruipro 12m option, and so far so good. However, you have to make sure you get the GEN3/C version. I bought the Ruipro from Amazon (US site), and got the GEN3/C first buy, and I have had it a month at least. I am testing it from Xbox Series X to LG CX 2020 model. All checks, no weird issues, no black screens at least so far. I am pretty much gaming on it nightly too. The Phoosno is cheaper at least when I checked. You can do what I am doing, and buy both for redundancy. I know you did that already, but can't hurt other than the wallet. Or just make sure to test prior to install. Is your install easy, or tough? I am having that issue now, not sure how difficult the pull will be. Good luck.

*I just realized that I am running COD at 4k/60 due to having Dolby Vision turned on. Apparently Xbox won't allow 4k/120 yet due to DV. So, going to switch DV off and test 4k/120 COD and see how that works. Supposedly, Microsoft and LG are working on the 4k/120 with DV as an option, but time will tell if bandwidth or similar is enough to have DV with 120....just another piece in the HMDI2.1 puzzle.....DV now.....
I don't believe you initially mentioned HDMI 2.1 so the solid core CAT-6 probably wouldn't work because I'm not sure if the HDBT rx/tx are HDMI 2.1 capable. You can still use solid core to extend an HDMI connection if that is something you might want now or in the future. If not, just use some as a pull string. Solid pure copper core, UTP, non-CCA/CCS is what you want. Not CAT-6 ethernet patch cable. I purchased mine from Sewell and terminated myself with punch down keystones.

The point I was trying to make with the cable installation is that most cable mfrs will refund your money or replace the cable but it's having the install team come back and reinstall cable at no charge if they screwed it up in the first place.

35'-50' for the HDMI 2.1 options can be challenging so throughly test the cable(s) as best as you can. If you don't have any HDMI 2.1 devices that offer the same option sets you're going just have to take it on faith that whatever cable you get will work as expected once you connect HDMI 2.1 certified devices. If certified they should work, but sometimes device mfrs choose to implement those options differently so compatibility issues MAY present themselves.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Ruipro, Cable Matters, Phoossno, and Maxonar are the most popular hybrid fiber cables for the HDMI 2.1 option sets (if HDMI 2.1 is something you need/want). Cable Matters and Phoossno, and I believe Maxonar are certified as UHS HDMI cables. Ruipro will be releasing their certified UHS HDMI cable in about 4 weeks (still in the certification phase). All of them offer cables for the HDMI 2.0 options as well but I don't believe any of them are certified for HDMI 2.0 if certification is something you want.

At 60', there are no 100% guarantees for compatibility and/or reliability. Active cables are funny beasts, even the certified ones so test the cable prior to installation to make whatever you get works as expected. Are you installing in-wall and will you be using a conduit?

Isn't the Vertex2 HDMI 2.0 only? Some pj's have been reported to have an inconsistent current output which may affect signal propagation with some active cables. A voltage inserter may help. They are cheap and if that works, you're good to go. Can you do a direct, source to sink, connection to rule out a problem with the HDFury? Quite often a single connection with no adapters or extenders in-between offers a more reliable connection.
Thanks, will give the voltage inverter a go first.

Ran an empty vacuum tube to the PJ (and a nylon cable) when I did the basement "just in case". It has three 90 degree elbows though, so pulling 50 feet or so of HDMI could be iffy without causing damage I assume.

2.1 isn't needed, but I figured if I was pulling a new cable, as future proof as possible would be nice!

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Thanks, will give the voltage inverter a go first.

Ran an empty vacuum tube to the PJ (and a nylon cable) when I did the basement "just in case". It has three 90 degree elbows though, so pulling 50 feet or so of HDMI could be iffy without causing damage I assume.

2.1 isn't needed, but I figured if I was pulling a new cable, as future proof as possible would be nice!
You can still do the 90º bends successfully if you go slow and give yourself extra cable to make the bend as gentle as possible. Hybrid fiber cables have an excellent bend radius (flexibility), so as long as the bend is not sharp, you should be ok. If you don't have a pull sting installed already you can use and existing cable (if one is in place) as a pulll string or you can use a long piece of solid core CAT-6 cable, which is a bit stiff but bendable, and attach your cable to that. Just make sure that the cable is attached to the body of the "pull string" and not the connector ends and secure the connector ends from bending back on itself. In fact, you could leave the solid core, UTP, CAT-6 cable in place and use that to extend an ethernet connection if need be. If you do decide to keep the solid core in place for future use, make sure it is a solid, pure copper core, UTP, and not CCA/CCS cable or ethernet patch cable.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Thanks, have a nylon pull cable in place. Will see what cat6 cable I have, know I had some outdoor stuff just can't recall what it was exactly.
Technically, almost any CAT-6 cable will work, unless you want to run HDBT, but I've just always used solid copper core and not the CCA (Copper Coated Aluminum) or CCS (Copper Coated Steel) that is usually used in CAT-6 ethernet patch cables. Solid core is usually sold in spools so you will have to terminate them but that's easy to do.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Technically, almost any CAT-6 cable will work, unless you want to run HDBT, but I've just always used solid copper core and not the CCA (Copper Coated Aluminum) or CCS (Copper Coated Steel) that is usually used in CAT-6 ethernet patch cables. Solid core is usually sold in spools so you will have to terminate them but that's easy to do.
Actually, the original cable I ran was an ultra thin Cat-6 cable...so the first time I decided to purchase something without research is the one time I'm running cabling through walls and picked the wrong one (as I later found out when I tried to use it for POE for an access point device...:rolleyes:).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi otto pylot, I have a few questions for you. When you say, pull the HDMI cable from the body and not the connector end are you referring to the body as the cable itself right behind the male connector assembly? Looks like i may be replacing my 25 to 30ft inwall rated 10yr old BlueRigger HDMI cable. It worked with my Yamaha RX-V671 1080P AVR hooked to my sony A8H 4k TV but when I installed my new Denon x3700h AVR I didn't get no picture to the TV so I'm thinking the HDMI cable is not compatible with the new AVR for the distance of 25 to 30ft. I hooked up a portable TV to the new avr with a 4ft HDMI cable and it worked fine. What HDMI cable would you recommend for my setup. I have inwall 1.5" flex hose similar to a vac hose that is not smooth on the inside and when I used a fish tape to pull my BlueRigger HDMI through it wasn't easy with the inside roughness of the hose. If I replace the old hdmi with the new one I was going to use the old inwall rated BlueRigger cable to pull the new one through by over lapping the two ends by 4inches and using electric tape to connect the two cables together, making sure the ends are tape good so maybe they won't hang up to bad. I know by doing this will take up more space inside the 1.5" hose. I would like to butt the two cable ends together to make a easier pull but not sure how to go about that because they may pull apart. How fragile is the new ultra high speed cables with pulling against and what ones would you recommend. I appreciate your time and information.
Problem Solved: I was 99% sure the problem was the old BlueRigger HDMI cable, I went ahead and ordered a new Cable Matters Certified Active Ultra High Speed HDMI 32.8' Cable and hooked it up to My A8H Sony TV and new Denon x3700h and it worked perfectly. I was able to go through the AVR x3700h setup for the first time. I haven't had a problem with the new cable yet, its only been a couple days in use. We will see how it goes, thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Problem Solved: I was 99% sure the problem was the old BlueRigger HDMI cable, I went ahead and ordered a new Cable Matters Certified Active Ultra High Speed HDMI 32.8' Cable and hooked it up to My A8H Sony TV and new Denon x3700h and it worked perfectly. I was able to go through the AVR x3700h setup for the first time. I haven't had a problem with the new cable yet, its only been a couple days in use. We will see how it goes, thanks for everyones help.
Cable Matters do make good cables so I'm glad you found one that works for you. Congrats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This thread is incredibly long. Did Arrow AV ever finish the testing on long HDMI 2.1 cables, or what? Building a home theater and have a 55ft run from my AV Receiver to the projector that I need to complete.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
This thread is incredibly long. Did Arrow AV ever finish the testing on long HDMI 2.1 cables, or what? Building a home theater and have a 55ft run from my AV Receiver to the projector that I need to complete.
No. It was not their primary focus, and keeping up with the new crop of cables coming out, HDMI 2.1 devices (tv's, GPU's, etc) just became too much with cost and time.

At 55' or so, the best thing you can do is run 1.5"-2.0" flexible conduit (smooth interior) and try Ruipro, Cable Matters, Maxonar, or another mfr who I forget at the moment. Cable Matters and Maxonar have received certification from HDMI LA as UHS HDMI cables and Ruipro's will be receiving the same in about 4 weeks once the certification process is completed. However, none of the cables are certified for the length that you need. Hopefully that will change soon but only time will tell. If you install the conduit then you have an easy and safe way to install cables when ready and to swap out if one doesn't meet your needs, even after testing it thoroughly on the floor prior to installation. Install a pull string as well. You might also want to consider running solid copper core, UTP, CAT-6 cabling as well (non-CCA/CCS and not ethernet patch cable) in case you want to hardwire your system or think you may need an ethernet connection in the area of your pj.

Unfortunately, as we have said before, there just isn't a 100% guarantee that any given cable will work reliably at those long lengths. They should, but length, connected devices, cable installation, etc all can affect signal reliability and propagation. If you're a gamer, that's another layer of complexity that MAY result in issues.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts

So I tried a cables to go voltage inserter, and for some reason when it was used the PJ did not detect a source at all. Tried to use it both at the Vertex end and the PJ end, same result.

HD Fury responded with:

It does not matter much where you plug it as long as it can provide both ends with enough power, it only matter in case it cannot, which means that the cable is sucking way too much power than it should since in the first place it is not allowed to suck power from HDMI by HDMI standards. Not blaming the cable thus, we also sell fiber taking power from HDMI, yet they are very low consumption that any of our 5V or 12V can power them perfectly.

But I honestly am not sure what they mean. The Amazon Basics 50' cable works perfectly fine when the Vertex is not in the mix. I tried the vertex on another TV, and it worked fine.

So it has something to do with when I insert the Vertex2 into the mix with the PJ and the 60' Fiber cable that results in video drop outs every ~5-10 minutes, and "static" that is visible in the dark with dark or black scenes.

I'm hesitant to order the HDFury fiber optic, simply because it can't be returned, and amazon.ca doesn't seem to carry a 50' Cable matters or Phoossno fiber cable.

Hmmm..

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
So I tried a cables to go voltage inserter, and for some reason when it was used the PJ did not detect a source at all. Tried to use it both at the Vertex end and the PJ end, same result.

HD Fury responded with:

But I honestly am not sure what they mean. The Amazon Basics 50' cable works perfectly fine when the Vertex is not in the mix. I tried the vertex on another TV, and it worked fine.

So it has something to do with when I insert the Vertex2 into the mix with the PJ and the 60' Fiber cable that results in video drop outs every ~5-10 minutes, and "static" that is visible in the dark with dark or black scenes.

I'm hesitant to order the HDFury fiber optic, simply because it can't be returned, and amazon.ca doesn't seem to carry a 50' Cable matters or Phoossno fiber cable.

Hmmm..
Hmmm fer sure. If the cable is an active cable, it definitely depends on which end is connected to where. The cable should be labeled. On one end it should indicate Source and the other end should be labeled as Sink or TV. The voltage inserter is designed for active cables and sometimes works. Passive cables can be connected in any direction as they do not require a power source per se.

HDMI ports are designed to supply 5v/50mA output so active cables, be they active copper or active hybrid fiber have chipsets that are designed to work within the 5v/50mA spec. Sometimes, the 50mA current fluctuates enough that the cable chipsets have issues with the current, especially a longer lengths. Hence the use of voltage inserter which supplies 5v/500mA, in most cases. As mentioned, they are just an option and may help in some cases for pj's and active cables.

If you system works with the current cable without the Vertex, and doesn't work with the same setup and the Vertex in the mix, I'd suspect the Vertex is just providing enough power or there is some other issue. Have you tried changing settings to see what does work? I don't use/need a Vertex so I have no first-hand knowledge of the options available.

Would it be possible to move your system closer together? Can you summarize what you have connected and with what and how your cable run is installed. I think we touched on this but I forget. Do you really need the Vertex?

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Hmmm fer sure. If the cable is an active cable, it definitely depends on which end is connected to where. The cable should be labeled. On one end it should indicate Source and the other end should be labeled as Sink or TV. The voltage inserter is designed for active cables and sometimes works. Passive cables can be connected in any direction as they do not require a power source per se.

HDMI ports are designed to supply 5v/50mA output so active cables, be they active copper or active hybrid fiber have chipsets that are designed to work within the 5v/50mA spec. Sometimes, the 50mA current fluctuates enough that the cable chipsets have issues with the current, especially a longer lengths. Hence the use of voltage inserter which supplies 5v/500mA, in most cases. As mentioned, they are just an option and may help in some cases for pj's and active cables.

If you system works with the current cable without the Vertex, and doesn't work with the same setup and the Vertex in the mix, I'd suspect the Vertex is just providing enough power or there is some other issue. Have you tried changing settings to see what does work? I don't use/need a Vertex so I have no first-hand knowledge of the options available.

Would it be possible to move your system closer together? Can you summarize what you have connected and with what and how your cable run is installed. I think we touched on this but I forget. Do you really need the Vertex?
It's a mounted projector, with a 50' run of AmazonBasics Fiber Optic cable. Source/TV ends are in the right places.

When I had the HDMI cable hooked up directly to my Anthem AVM60 processor, everything worked fine (Xfinity cable box, Sony Ubp-x700 player).

When I put the Vertex into the mix (basically you put a short HDMI cable from the output of the Anthem processor into an input of the Vertex2, and then from the output of the vertex2 I connect the AmazonBasics cable to the PJ).

Issues: Randomly, every 3 to 5 to 7 minutes, the screen blacks out for a second or two, then comes back. Also, in dark scenes or just a black screen, I see very faint white sparkles/static on the screen.

Not sure if that helps?

Looks like I can get a 50' Ruipro or Phoossno cable, but they run ~$250 - $300 :rolleyes: on amazon canada, and I'm not 100% sure if they can be returned as they involve import fees. They're prime, so I assume they can be. But holy crap...$250-300!

I should also note, i moved the Vertex2 to another TV and hooked it up, didn't get any blackouts. So I'm thinking it is how the 50' cable interacts with the Vertex, and was hoping it was a not enough voltage issue.

Last edit: When I mentioned I wasn't sure where to connect, I meant I tried connecting the Voltage inserter at both the source and TV ends, both ways didn't matter, I was completely unable to pass a signal through period. Not sure why that would be?

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
It's a mounted projector, with a 50' run of AmazonBasics Fiber Optic cable. Source/TV ends are in the right places.

When I had the HDMI cable hooked up directly to my Anthem AVM60 processor, everything worked fine (Xfinity cable box, Sony Ubp-x700 player).

When I put the Vertex into the mix (basically you put a short HDMI cable from the output of the Anthem processor into an input of the Vertex2, and then from the output of the vertex2 I connect the AmazonBasics cable to the PJ).

Issues: Randomly, every 3 to 5 to 7 minutes, the screen blacks out for a second or two, then comes back. Also, in dark scenes or just a black screen, I see very faint white sparkles/static on the screen.

Not sure if that helps?

Looks like I can get a 50' Ruipro or Phoossno cable, but they run ~$250 - $300 :rolleyes: on amazon canada, and I'm not 100% sure if they can be returned as they involve import fees. They're prime, so I assume they can be. But holy crap...$250-300!

I should also note, i moved the Vertex2 to another TV and hooked it up, didn't get any blackouts. So I'm thinking it is how the 50' cable interacts with the Vertex, and was hoping it was a not enough voltage issue.

Last edit: When I mentioned I wasn't sure where to connect, I meant I tried connecting the Voltage inserter at both the source and TV ends, both ways didn't matter, I was completely unable to pass a signal through period. Not sure why that would be?
When I was testing the voltage inserters from Ruipro it didn't make any difference which end I was connecting to. Both worked ok but one, my runs aren't anywhere near as long as yours, two, I wasn't using a pj as my display device, and three, I didn't have any issue to begin with. So, my testing really has no true bearing on your issue.

Isn't the Amazon Basics cable just an active copper-only cable? It could be that a hybrid fiber cable is what you are going to need. FYI, hybrid fiber cables have glass (sometimes polymer) fiber cores for the high bandwidth options and copper wires for the low bandwidth options (like ARC, HDCP, EDID). It's also best to have a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. Active cables can have issues, especially over longer lengths, if you have a 'break' in the HDMI chain. Is the Amazon Basics cable installed in-wall with a conduit?

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
When I was testing the voltage inserters from Ruipro it didn't make any difference which end I was connecting to. Both worked ok but one, my runs aren't anywhere near as long as yours, two, I wasn't using a pj as my display device, and three, I didn't have any issue to begin with. So, my testing really has no true bearing on your issue.

Isn't the Amazon Basics cable just an active copper-only cable? It could be that a hybrid fiber cable is what you are going to need. FYI, hybrid fiber cables have glass (sometimes polymer) fiber cores for the high bandwidth options and copper wires for the low bandwidth options (like ARC, HDCP, EDID). It's also best to have a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. Active cables can have issues, especially over longer lengths, if you have a 'break' in the HDMI chain. Is the Amazon Basics cable installed in-wall with a conduit?
This is the cable, it is installed in-wall. Not via a conduit, so I can't pull it out. But I do have a PVC pipe run to the location with a draw string so I can add new lines down the road, I was just hoping down the road wasn't "a few months after buying the cable".

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
This is the cable, it is installed in-wall. Not via a conduit, so I can't pull it out. But I do have a PVC pipe run to the location with a draw string so I can add new lines down the road, I was just hoping down the road wasn't "a few months after buying the cable".

The cable specs say it is certified for the HDMI 2.0 option sets but yet it appears that the cable doesn't come with the QR label of authenticity, so it is suspicious. One reviewer says the cable doesn't need power because it is passive, but the connector ends certainly indicate directionality.

Amazon, like other online retailers don't check the accuracy or validity of the mfrs claims for some of the products they sell. So it really is caveat emptor if it is not a major mfr. And Amazon reviews are to be taken with a big grain of salt.

If you are using a pvc pipe as a conduit that's fine as long as you can keep the bend radius to a minimum. AOC cables have very good bend radius' so you just want to avoid really sharp, 90º bends.

You may have to purchase directly from the mfr (Ruipro, Cable Matters, etc) so you can take advantage of their return policy if it doesn't work. Hybrid fiber cables are expensive, there's no question about that but unless Vertex has a cable that they recommend that will work with their device you may have to bit the bullet and get a more expensive cable (even tho cable price does not guarantee compatibility) or not use the vertex or upgrade to a more robust model of Vertex.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Strangely, I don't even see this cable on Ruipro's site, not for Canada anyway. Is this the one you are using @Otto Pylot ?

1861 - 1880 of 1889 Posts