AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all HDMI cables created equal?

I need to buy an HDMI cable to hook up my new panasonic dvd recorder to my HDTV LCD flat panel. There are large differences in price.

Anyone aware of any good/bad on GE, Sony, Philips, etc. HDMI cables?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
A forum favorite are cables from the forum sponsor monoprice.com. Many of us here have purchased from them and have been satisfied with both the cost and the quality. You do not need to pay a ton of money for good cables. The majority of cables out there I would consider equal, except of course in cost.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Monoprice - can't be beat.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReilly1 /forum/post/0

I was actually shocked at the build quality, and even the packaging.

Very impressive, hard to believe they are so inexpensive.

No where else to shop for me

Doug

^^^^^^^^^^^X2

I bought an HDMI, toslink, Cat6 network, and a 50 foot (!) SVGA cable w/ audio. Outstanding product and prices.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
+1X, monoprice.com, good solid well built cables , excellent prices fast service and shipping.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
According to this article, ALL HDMI cables are currently made in China, so unless some seller tolerates low quality standards, all HDMI cables should perform more or less the same as long as they adhere to the HDMI cable standards, especially with regards to impedance.

http://www.audioholics.com/education...tter-with-hdmi

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/0

According to this article, ALL HDMI cables are currently made in China, so unless some seller tolerates low quality standards, all HDMI cables should perform more or less the same as long as they adhere to the HDMI cable standards, especially with regards to impedance.

http://www.audioholics.com/education...tter-with-hdmi

Monoprice is good.

Does anyone actually read that site? Man, don't even ask about the round listening room, I often think they mean to spread misinformation as a joke.

The common standard is for up to 100 meters or 300 feet for gigabit on copper. 10 gigabit on copper is rated for 50 feet. In 6 years time even more data will get packed into cheap twisted pair copper and the distance will lengthen. HDMI has an absolute cake walk with fancy specailty products in quite homes compared to what data centers and telco's do with the same basic technology.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Come on people, why are you buying that cheap stuff? Here is the real deal!

Monster Cable M Series 4' HDMI A/V Cable

Model: M1000 HD-4

Featuring 24K gold contacts, this 4' HDMI cable ensures improved signal strength between HDMI components.

Product Features

Designed to work with your HDMI components

High-velocity, silver-coated center conductors for picture detail and color saturation

High-density, quad-layer shielding

Supports 7.1-channel audio formats

Nitrogen gas-injected dielectric ensures signal strength

24K gold contacts for enhanced signal transfer and corrosion resistance

All for the bargain price of $169.99 at your local Big Box store!

·
Registered
904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 /forum/post/0

Come on people, why are you buying that cheap stuff? Here is the real deal!

Monster Cable M Series 4' HDMI A/V Cable

Model: M1000 HD-4

Featuring 24K gold contacts, this 4' HDMI cable ensures improved signal strength between HDMI components.

Product Features

Designed to work with your HDMI components

High-velocity, silver-coated center conductors for picture detail and color saturation

High-density, quad-layer shielding

Supports 7.1-channel audio formats

Nitrogen gas-injected dielectric ensures signal strength

24K gold contacts for enhanced signal transfer and corrosion resistance

All for the bargain price of $169.99 at your local Big Box store!

Yeah, I know. After seeing those prices, I bought from monoprice for less than 10 bucks & they work great

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoel /forum/post/0

Why is there an overwhelming majority of monoprice buyers as opposed to BlueJeans Cable? Does BJCable do something wrong?

-Joel

Probably because their cheapest component cable is about $45.00 and the monoprice cable is less than half that.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.