AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Does anyone know if the ChannelMaster DVR+ will accept commands via HDMI CEC? I thought my Raspberry PI was telepathic when I saw it change menu picks when I mistakenly pushed buttons on my TV remote, but then learned it was accepting commands from the TV coming from the HDMI port! I've been jazzed about this since and have hopes I'll be able to control many functions using my TV remote.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Are you sure the TV remote was not controlling the DVR+?

I would be kind of suprised if the box actually handled HDMI commands since HDMI CEC seems so incomplete, especially wrt DVR's.

Otherwise - nice find.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I sent an eMail to Channel Master support asking whether their DVR+ supported HDMI-CEC. Here is the reply: "The DVR+ does not support the HDMI-CEC. I will send this feature request into the the engineers so that they can look into this for you."

I asked this because of my setup scenario. When I connected my newly ordered DVR+ to my AV receiver, my HDMI-CEC functions no longer worked properly. I have a Samsung UN50ES6100, Onkyo TX-NR609,  LG blu-ray player and Goggle Chromecast as my HDMI-CEC enabled devices. Prior to adding the DVR+, I was able to control all devices with my TV remote (i.e. turn on TV, Onkyo receiver automatically turned on.  Turn TV off, Onkyo receiver automatically turned off, etc...).  With the DVR+ connected via HDMI, the Onkyo receiver did not automatically turn on and off anymore. I had to do that separately with the Onkyo remote. Once the Onkyo was manually turned on, the TV remote did control things like volume control on the Onkyo.  The non-support of HDMI-CEC on the DVR+ caused my HDMI-CEC setup to fail.

To resolve the issue, I ordered a 'Lindy HDMI CEC Less Adapter, Female to Male" and attached it to the HDMI cable of the DVR+. This little $15.00 adapter disables pin 13 on the HDMI cable. Pin 13 controls the CEC function of HDMI. 

The net is, I can now have my DVR+ connected to my AV receiver with this adapter and the HDMI CEC functions are masked off from the DVR+.  This means the DVR+ doesn't mess up my HDMI-CEC enabled devices and they all work in conjunction with each other again.

For information on the Lindy adapter, see:

http://www.lindy-usa.com/hdmi-cec-less-adapter-female-to-male-41232.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts