AVS Forum banner

HDMI Compatibility Issues with Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  49Merc 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Long-time reader, first time poster.

I have had a Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY with the TY-FB7HM HDMI board since 2005. Until recently, I ran the HDMI video outs from all sources through a cheap (generic) Chinese-made HDMI switch-box and the audio through an analog pre-amp. Recently, I decided to upgrade to a Marantz AV7005 and go all HDMI digital for audio and video.

While my DirecTV box still works fine -- audio and video come through the Marantz to the TV -- the Samsung Blu-ray player and AppleTV present a "start-up" image and then the video flickers out and does not return. After a lot of investigation, I got on the phone with Panasonic customer support, who confirmed that the TH-50PHD7UY could not handle the new HDMI spec. He further confirmed that there was no firmware update available, and basically that Panasonic had ceased supporting the product, so . . . have a nice day. Based on this threads on this board (t=609335) I've come to understand that there also probably isn't an "unapproved" fix out there.

As I see it at this point, my options are:

(1) Run component out from the BD player, and use the AppleTV as a paperweight

(2) See if the cheap generic HDMI switcher corrupts the HDMI signal enough to allow the BD player and AppleTV to be displayed, and use analog audio; or

(3) Buy a new TV.

Also, given what I spent to buy this TV as a relatively early adopter, I'm fairly annoyed that Panasonic abandoned me as a consumer. Even if there's no hope in saving the TV in an all-digital world, if anyone can talk me off the ledge on this, that's a value-add. (6 years shelf-life for a "future-proof" monitor?)

Thanks for reading if you made it this far, and thanks in advance for any help.

See less See more
#2 ·
My suggestion is to buy a no spec cheap HDMI cable or search for a 2005 era HDMI. something for you to also consider. All Monoprice HDMI cables are listed as backwards compatible. With this said, one of my Monoprice HS HDMI's does not work with my old Toshiba A20 HD-DVD player. I solved that problem by using an on hand 'came in the box' HDMI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.