AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the answer to this

as far as i know certified cat5 only uses two of the pairs in the cat5 cable itself

so my question is for a HDMI over cat5 extender could I use the one cat5 cable and split it to two RJ45 connectors ?

· Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowej /forum/post/18124537

does anyone know the answer to this

as far as i know certified cat5 only uses two of the pairs in the cat5 cable itself

so my question is for a HDMI over cat5 extender could I use the one cat5 cable and split it to two RJ45 connectors ?

No, definitely not.

Actually, what you mean is that 10/100 only uses two pairs. Gigabit ethernet uses all 4 pairs.

However HDMI media adapters are a completely different animal, the pairs they use depend on the product but AFAIK they use basically all the pairs I believe.

However, there are HDMI media adapters that only use one Cat, so you might want to try those, I think there's a Calrad HDMI balun for e.g. if I remember correctly that only uses one cat.

· Registered
2,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/18124741

No, definitely not.

However, there are HDMI media adapters that only use one Cat, so you might want to try those, I think there's a Calrad HDMI balun for e.g. if I remember correctly that only uses one cat.

Laird Telemedia units use one Cat cable for HDMI as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.