AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently downgraded to Basic Cable (gave up my HD Cable Box) to save money on my cable bill and keep my Internet service. I want to connect my LG DVD Recorder/VCR to my Sony Bravia with an HDMI cable. Will I be able to watch and record TV programs? Or did I make a mistake?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Yes, you'll be able to tune your cable channels... analog if your LG doesn't have a digital tuner, or both analog and digital if it does.

Your cableco may, at some time in the future, try to force you to rent their box by *slowly* (?) moving channels from analog to digital, but then that would hopefully be well into the future, or not at all.

·
Registered
15,397 Posts
Pep,

If you're thinking the sony will send video back to the LG over HDMI that you can record, that's incorrect. However, just split the coax from the wall, and send one side to your TV, the other to your LG. Or don't split it, and run the coax into the LG first, then out to your TV, if the LG has coax out. Then use LG's built-in tuner for recording (assuming it has a tuner), like wajo says. Otherwise you'll need to get a different recorder that has it's own tuner (avoid "tuner-less" or "tuner-free" models). Some TV's DO have outputs that you could connect to your LG for recording, but I don't think sony does.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepRaskell1 /forum/post/15506354

I just recently downgraded to Basic Cable (gave up my HD Cable Box) to save money on my cable bill and keep my Internet service. I want to connect my LG DVD Recorder/VCR to my Sony Bravia with an HDMI cable. Will I be able to watch and record TV programs? Or did I make a mistake?

Only if you're expecting HD from the LG's tuner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts