AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Yamaha DVD S1800 hooked up to my Panasonic TC-P50X1. When I use the HDMI cable outputting at 720p to my tv the picture has a lot of noise, but when I output with regular RCA (red, white, yellow) cables, the picture looks a lot better (still a bit of noise, but better than the HDMI). What is going on here??

I checked the picture settings, it is on standard for both of them. It is an older dvd, but that shouldn't matter since the HDMI mode actually looks worse than the regular cables!

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
My guess is your DVD is of such poor quality the reduced bandwidth composite connection is actually filtering out much of the noise of the source. HDMI with it's increased bandwidth can show the clarity of the source but also amplify the noise.

Try a good commercial DVD and you should notice the opposite. If you have many of those poorer quality DVDs you many just want to use both HDMI and composite connections to your TV. HDMI for good quality DVDs and composite for poorer quality. You could also try reducing the sharpness of your display when playing poorer quality DVDs which should mask some of the noise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The disc I tested was the Criterion Collection DVD version of Wages of Fear. I had just watched it on a friends LCD tv (connected to a bluray player) and it looked great. Yet through my dvd player onto my plasma (with hdmi) there seemed to be more noise. Through the composite cables a lot of the noise was gone (though the picture was softer).

I did test a newer movie with the hdmi (Lord of the Rings extended edition) and it looked pretty good (though not *that* much better than the composite connection) (and honestly, Wages of Fear didn't look *that* bad, just not as good as what I had seen on my friend's LCD), but are most older movies going to look crappy on my tv? I tried my copy of The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn version) and it probably had the most noise (most noticeable on clear sky scenes just because there wasn't any scenery to obscure it). My DVD of that was recently released, I would think it would look better.

Is this a plasma issue? I only use my tv to watch DVDs, and almost all of them are movies from 1980 or earlier. I have an old Avia configuration dvd that I haven't used yet to tweak the settings, but so far I've been pretty disappointed with how it plays out of the box.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
I thought maybe your DVD was a home recorded disc, if it's a commercial disc they I'd really try and calibrate your TVs HDMI input. I like to use the simple THX optimizer setup that used to be included with select Disney Pixar DVDs, although for sharpness I tend to set it more on the fly. More for a better quality source, less for a poorer source.

I don't have the Yamaha you have but rather several Sonys and I use HDMI exclusively except for the few that aren't upconverters and then I use component, occasionally S-video but never really composite.

·
Registered
22,651 Posts
Have you considered properly calibrating the display, and are you aware that each input on the display needs individual calibration?

OOB display settings are horrible at best. Consult the local thread for that display to see what others are doing. My guess is that once correctly set up, you will be amazed.

·
Registered
22,651 Posts
If you don't have a BD player, the DVDs from DVE are well regarded. You need to set black levels, contrast, color intensity, tint and sharpness for each input on the TV. Adjust the TV, not the player and be sure that ALL image enhancements are turned off in the player.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.