AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation: I am building a 2 channel system. I doubt that I ever will go to a 5.1 HT setup. My main purpose is music reproduction, although since the system will be there I am sure that I will watch movies through the system -- at least on occassion. Who knows, maybe more often if I enjoy it.

If the HK 3490 had HDMI I think it would be the choice for me. In fact, given the fact that I don't currently have a TV or blueray, the HDMI will not be an issue.

But, when I replace my older video equipment HDMI will be possible (if not necessary).

So, my question is whether this is enough of an issue to move to something like the Onkyo TXR507. Does the lack of HDMI mean that the receiver will be obsolete with regards to video use?

·
Registered
22,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesSinope /forum/post/16971679

So, my question is whether this is enough of an issue to move to something like the Onkyo TXR507. Does the lack of HDMI mean that the receiver will be obsolete with regards to video use?

Yes. the industry is moving to all HDMI for copy protection reasons, and money of course. In the not too distant future, all video players will be restricted to low resolution on analog outputs.

But there are other considerations in terms of AVRs. There are a good many other advancements in AVR tech that have come along with HDMI connects. Things like Audessey and YPAO and other room correction processing, as well as greatly improved pre-amp technology and DACs. So you're getting more from an up to date AVR than just HDMI. A new AVR is noticeably cleaner and clearer than even a 5-yr old model in most cases.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.