AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need to distribute HDMI from an AV closet to two rooms. What options are out there?

I've looked at the Monoprice 4x2 Matrix Switcher but it seems pretty buggy. 10-15 second blackouts and IR lag aren't acceptable for this setup.

On the other side of the spectrum, there's the Crestron but it's $3000.

Is there any kind of middle ground?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Do you need to watch a different source in the two rooms at the same time?

·
Registered
91 Posts
A Happy median - I would go with Gefen - EXT-HDMI1.3-444 - 4x4 HDMI matrix, but also supports 1.3A. I believe Linear corp is also gefen guts - but does not support 1.3a - http://www.linearcorp.com/product_de...?productId=830

Are you going to be using HDMI baluns as well? I suggest Audio Control BVHD-10 - $400 for the pair, CAT5E OR CAT6E - Very reliable product, if there are any issues it is usually because of HDCP handshaking, not the balun.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, even $2k is well above my price range. I wanted to spend less than a $1000.

It just doesn't seem like there's a lot of first hand knowledge out there on this topic. Are these relatively new products? Why haven't receiver manufacturers integrated this functionality on the high end?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I just found out about octava, seems like a decent brand/company, i'm trying their hdmi over cat6 baluns, and they also have a 4x4 matrix switch at a reasonable price (i just ordered the monoprice 4x4 switch to test it out and see how it works, if not i'll be ordering this one)

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20matr...tch%204x4.html

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Octava seems like a good option. Definitely let us know how it works out for you - especially build quality and reliability. If I'm going to drop $500, I want to know it's going to be solid.

I've heard the Monoprice has some serious issues. Black screens, IR lag - let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by

·
Registered
847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaks /forum/post/17019468

Octava seems like a good option. Definitely let us know how it works out for you - especially build quality and reliability. If I'm going to drop $500, I want to know it's going to be solid.

I've heard the Monoprice has some serious issues. Black screens, IR lag - let us know.

Yeah, there was another person who reviewed the 4x4 switch actually and was pretty content with it ( thread here ), lets see how it works out for my setup.

The good think about Octava for me is atleast they have a location/warehouse for me locally so returns/exchanges can be made there....they were also very helpful over the phone.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Intelix DIGI-HDMI-4X2 works well AND has cat-5 (x2) distribution capabilities. It is under $1000 without the cat-5 receivers. If you want to use those, they run $236 apiece.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm looking for a good HDMI switcher in the same boat here, looking for an inexpensive HDMI switcher. My installer is recommending the Gefen 4x4 HDMI switcher which is $2,000.

If the Octava 4x4 switcher worked well, that would be a big cost savings, it only costs $499.

Has anyone out there tried the Octava and could give us all some advice? Has the device been reviewed by any 3rd party reviewer? I've been searching but haven't found any reliable review of this device.

Can anyone help?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts