AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a HDMI distribution option that allows me to completely control to and fro...

I want 4 HDMI outs and 4 HDMI ins.. BUT I want to be able to completely control the flow.

If I want source 1 to go to display 2 & 3 but source 4 to go to display 1... so be it...

and every option in between on the fly... Is there a product that does this? that is priced for a consumer...

Greg

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
"HDMI Matrix switch".

Lots of them - the cheap ones will have some limitations (outputs blanking when switching, etc.), and most (except the truly expensive ones) will have limitations due to the way HDMI works.

What's your application?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Building a home office as our brick and mortar office is closing.

Wanted four monitors.. I have a Cisco Codec (SX20) that will feed one monitor, two for my mac book pro and one for DTV... and maybe my PS4.

Given what I might be working on I'd like the option of moving the content to any one of the four monitors.. or even 1 on all four.(like four osx spaces, one on each monitor)

G

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiles  /t/1519728/hdmi-distribution-multiple-sources-4-screens-change-on-the-fly#post_24409199

Given what I might be working on I'd like the option of moving the content to any one of the four monitors.. or even 1 on all four.(like four osx spaces, one on each monitor)

You were fine until that last part. You won't get four different views out of one source (the Mac) - you will get four copies of one OSX desktop.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you are looking for a professionally installed and programmed product I agree with ifor. Just Add Power is what you need. It not only offers the basic HDMI Matrix functionality that many other companies will offer, but it offers a feature for a "video wall". This will allow 1 source to be displayed across ALL 4 (or more) screens if that's what you are looking for. The Just Add Power option is a Category cable solution utilizing HDBaseT.

Another option is to get a Mac Pro desktop that supports multiple screens. Then you can use any HDMI (or video) Matrix style switch from companies such as Atlona, SnapAV, Wyrestorm, etc. Atlona (as well as others) have a modular matrix that will allow you to customize how many ins and how many outs and what types of ins and outs you have.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
‘The Just Add Power option is a Category cable solution utilizing HDBaseT.’ – not sure about that ! JAP is HD over LAN (compressed) – which is very different to HDBaseT (non-compressed)!

I would hate to sit in front of an image produced by a ‘Videowall’ processor – as jautor said gmiles was all OK up until he added in the requirement for a quad source display mode; it is possible, just don’t plan to sit very close to it for any length of time.

A Matrix is what is required – though keep in mind HDMI and its buddy HDCP make it very difficult to mimic the sort of switching speed you may be used to using ‘old world’ analogue switch gear. We work hard to minimise inter zone blanking and include fast switching but you can still find displays which are slower than others if you happen to be swapping back/forth between different source signal resolution/refresh modes.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20matrix%20switch%204x4.html

Joe

PS I think you really want one of those new cylindrical MAC Pro towers with multiple Outputs, some form of capture device for the PS4, 4x HD Displays, a bunch of HD splitters plus a fifth HD display with 4 HD Inputs (and a quad display mode) or an external Videowall processor with 4 HD Inputs.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I apologize. Just Add Power calls their solution HDiP. Pretty sure it's based on similar technology.

The switching lag you mentioned is not always an issue. There are HDMI Matrix switches out there that have this "lag" down to mere milliseconds. The source switching in Just Add Power's products is near instantaneous. An analog system would not be any faster.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Joe,

Does Just Add Power remove the DHCP?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
That’s a Q for JAP

The HD over LAN solutions will generally ‘switch’ quickly as the switching is being undertaken on the Network switch (with HDCP having been removed at the Tx and compression applied to the output stream) and then HDCP reapplied at the Zone receiver!

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts