AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to put a wrap up a project I started several weeks ago.....but have been pulling my hair out with these last few steps. I am trying to consolidate all our A/V equipment in our basement, where I have built-out our home theater, but still have all the content from the various equipment piped throughout the rest of the house. So ideally, I'd like to have the ability to put a bluray on in the basement, but be able to watch it on any tv in the house as one example. Here are the different endpoints I have in our home.

Basement - main home theater area with speakers, projector, etc. Projector accepts HDMI input.

Basement Bar Area - simple LCD tv mounted on wall; accepts HDMI input.

Main Level Living Room - simple plasma tv up here; accepts HDMI input.

Upstairs Office - simple LCD tv mounted on wall; accepts HDMI input.

Upstairs Kids Room - simple LCD tv mounted on wall; accepts HDMI input.

And here is the equipment I'm starting with:

AT&T Uverse Cable Box - HDMI Out to Receiver and Composite Out to Tivo

XBOX 360 - HDMI Out to Receiver

Sony Bluray Player - HDMI Out to Receiver

Tivo - Composite Out to Receiver

Pioneer VSX-1020 Receiver - HDMI Out to Monoprice Splitter

Monoprice Splitter - HDMI Out to all the various rooms

Everything ends up at the Pioneer VSX-1020 Receiver. And it should be relatively simple since everything starts out as a HDMI signal, with exception of the old Tivo. But the receiver is converting the composite signal from the Tivo into HDMI.

Now here is where I'm having trouble. I can use all of these sources just fine in our basement home theater, since the receiver decodes the audio signal and outputs to the various speakers. And the video shows up fine on the projector. And the video shows up fine on all the various displays throughout the hosue. But there is absolutely no audio on any of the displays!! And that's my problem. My big idea of having all this content piped throughout the house won't work if I can only "see" the content and not "hear" it.

All the displays have speakers....and if I pull the receiver from the chain and directly patch the AT&T Uverse Cable Box into the Monoprice Splitter, for instance, the video AND audio work just fine. So I've narrowed it down to the Pioneer Receiver not passing along an audio signal?? What am I doing wrong? is there a way to fix this? Different receiver? Different equipment? Any help is much, much appreciated. Had hoped to have all this working for Thanksgiving....but have been struggling tonight!!

-Ryan

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

you have a choice...

you can either have the avr process the sound (which you are now) OR you can pass the sound through...

it won't do both...

see page 68 of your manual... the "hdmi audio" setting is what controls this...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there receivers that support this capability to do both? I had just bought this things in the hopes it would work fine....never expected to run into this issue. I'll just return if it can't do it.

I'd really love to have it up and running for tomorrow.....any models at Best Buy that do work that anyone knows of?? I'd really like to stick with minimum 110 watts per channel if possible too.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
no, not off the top off my head... with every unit i'm aware of, it's an either/or, not a both...

you'd need to insert something else into the chain... thinking out loud for a minute, maybe something like dvdo edge to bring the hdmi inputs together, then send the video out (i believe it sends a "complete" signal out of it's video out port, but i'm not sure, so that would have to be verified) and then the audio only hdmi out from it to the avr...

then put the splitter on the video out from the edge... may end up with edid problems though...

you really need some type of hdmi distribution switch to do this "right"... and with all those inputs and outputs, it's not likely to be inexpensive...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
another note:

this might work... although i'm not sure, because i'm not sure how the avr would handle being set to "through" for hdmi audio if you tell it to get the audio from a different port....

if all your components will output hdmi and another audio port at the same time, technically speaking, you could hook up a secondary set of audio cables for every device...

you'd then use signal select to tell the avr "don't get the audio from hdmi, get it from port x"... and then set hdmi audio to "through"...

that's a might work... as i've never tried it, and i don't know whether or not it would pass the hdmi audio "through" if you've signal selected it to a different audio source... heck, it might not even allow you to choose a secondary input if it's set to "through"...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Trying to do this with HDMI is going to be a serious headache.

The much easier way to do it would involve running analog audio cables from your source devices to the receiver and from the receiver's Zone 2 output to all the other displays throughout the house.

HDMI's promise of "Do it all with one cable" does not actually simplify things; it actually creates integration problems that didn't exist before HDMI came along.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

agreed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stopped home over lunch hour and switched the HDMI audio to "through" and of course, all the other displays works great now! Just no speakers downstairs in the home theater. Might work for most day-to-day stuff.

It's too bad it can't do both AMP and THROUGH at same time. I wonder what the downside would be other than users having to mute or lower volume on their regular TVs (not problem with projector though). Do any of the Onkyo or Yamaha models do this??

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisgolf /forum/post/19541223

It's too bad it can't do both AMP and THROUGH at same time.

Because of EDID speaker configuration matching issues, that would probably require you to configure your AVR as 2.0

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Since you can only have one source playing in the whole house at any given time anyway, why not just switch the HDMI pass-thru to AMP when you want to use the theater and leave it on THROUGH the rest of the time?

-Max

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper /forum/post/19541592

Since you can only have one source playing in the whole house at any given time anyway, why not just switch the HDMI pass-thru to AMP when you want to use the theater and leave it on THROUGH the rest of the time?

-Max

They'll be times when that would work fine. But there are lots of times when we'll have big enough parties where the football game will need to be on in the home theater as well as on all the other displays. Up until now, before I bought this receiver to try out, I had to manually switch cables around to accommodate different scenarios.

All the other displays have some other equipment going into them.....but my goal was to have the HDMI #1 source be a way for them to all tap into the main content from the main A/V closet in the basement.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
if it is only tv you are concerned about, there might be a workaround here based upon my earlier post...

try this...

set hdmi to "through"...

in addition to the hdmi connection, also connect via spdif from your cable box to whatever input you have that hdmi port assigned to...

this should give you audio everywhere but from the avr...

now use the "signal select" option on the remote to tell the avr "get the audio from digital"...

and see what happens...

i'm not "sure" this will work, as i'm unsure what will happen to the hdmi audio if you signal select out of it... it may just choose to ignore the hdmi audio entirely at that point...

but it's easy enough for you to try...

edit: this assumes your cable box will output both hdmi and spdif at the same time...

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19540792

^^^

agreed.

+1!

For instance, hooking up cable box... hdmi out to receiver, done right? Nope... cable doesn't play nice with hdmi 1.4 repeater, so I need to either bypass receiver or (what I did), place an older hdmi 1.x switch box between. Solves the handshake problem, but also strips audio... so I run a coax cable to the receiver & assign audio to it. But then I have zone 2, which only "sees" analog... so 2 rcas come into play.

That's 5 cables for my one-cable solution. Sheesh!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts