AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I can elaborate on the setup if need be, but the basic question is can I take an HDMI cable with a WUXGA (1920x1200) signal and convert it for a projector with an XGA (1024x768) native resolution with a regular VGA connector? Thank you in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
You should not do this, and you may not be able to do this.

Some projectors will accept higher resolutions, such as 1920x1200 and down-convert the resolution automatically. In a case like this, you will lose over 50% of the image, and it softens the image, which can make it look terrible. You should always strive to use the native resolution of the display whenever possible.

Also, other than PCs, most HDMI content is copyright protected with HDCP which means that you can't cross convert from digital (HDMI) to analog (VGA).

Now, if you are starting with a laptop which has a built in screen which is 1920x1200, then you may have an analog output on it (VGA) which can be set to do XGA resolution. If it only has a digital connection, then connect that to a HDMI to VGA converter, and set the output of that connection to 1024x768 resolution. That way you will get the best results possible with the setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you for getting back to me. To elaborate on this, I am trying to save some money on our confidence monitor setup and re-use an old projector. We upgraded the rest of the setup and (at least at this point) I am not willing to compromise on the resolution being sent to the two main screens. I am doing this with a 1x4 HDMI DA and was hoping to use one of those outputs to drive the confidence monitor. Thank you again for your advice. Also to clarify, we are generating all of our content with a desktop computer. The projector I am trying to re-purpose is an Eiki LC-x1100.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
The projector you have won't accept the higher resolution. It can only handle up to 1280x1024 resolution.

I would recommend you use another video card in the PC to drive the XGA display. Or you can pick up an external USB video card with a VGA output to drive that display off the PC. Since you are reusing old equipment, it really seems like you are going to have to work around the limitations you are self-imposing, and a $50 (or less) USB video card is a great way to work around it on the cheap with good quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts