AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious, im lookin to buy a HTIB(home theatre in a box), particular the toshiba SD-C67HT, or samsung HT-P50. The units both have HDMI connections which will allow me to connect it to my Philips 30pw9110d HDTV, and they both can perform upconversions from uncompressed video to 720p and 1080i. I wanted to know a few things, 1) if i connect other sources to the HTIB will those sources get upconverted visually or is that for the DVD portion of the home theatre and 2)if i'm watching TV and not a DVD, does TV audio outsource through the HDMI connection back to the HTIB or will i need to connect a coaxial or optic cable to it from the TV. (i heard that HDMI work 2 ways in/out out/in)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
and they both can perform upconversions from uncompressed video to 720p and 1080i.
whatchu talkin bout fella? ;>

1) I would guess no. If it does upconvert I bet it's only purely digtal sources which means DVD.

2) Your TV probably does not have an HDMI out, so you will need to connect it to your HTB either via analog stereo or optical/coax (if it offers that)

The only way to get digital audio from TV is digital cable/satellite/OTA tuner, and those come with separate boxes that offer digital audio outputs. If that's your case then simply feed the audio staright to your HTB.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah my tv only has coaxial out and no optical and those HTIB, however, only have Optic in and no coax, thus the reason i asked about the HDMI.

"and they both can perform upconversions from uncompressed video to 720p and 1080i. " meaning that standard definition can be upconverted to 720p/1080i. It wont be HiDef but more like enhanced definition from what i've read. just wondered if someone actually owned one of these units and know if it will upconvert aux connections such as VCR, camcorders, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.