AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How significant is the improved picture quality going from component to DVI or HDMI?

(I did do a search any didn't find this question)

Is it minimal like to going from coax to composite to s-video ?

or significant like DVD s-video to Progressive scan component?

or dramatic like SDTH to HDTV?

Or is the resolution the same and it removes artifacts and VB, etc.

Any help you can give to a newbie trying to gain knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am going to run some tests this weekend between my component and HDMI. ONe note I mentioned in another post though. DVD Players out now tih HDMI/DVI are much higher end than standard entry level. I'm not saying that more money means better picture but I do feel comfortable making the assumption that the features and opportunity to enhance the picture quality over these higher end DVD palyers is there. Another note, my HDMI ouput comes with about 6 more features or selection than my component. With that said i'll have to assume that the quality of my image will be noticeable to my naked eye. I will try and take a picture of the same shot in both modes, and offer up my opinion on the changes to the image where possible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

I am trying to come up with the cost associated for the HT and depending on picture quality, might need to include a new DVD player & cables. The Bravo D1 seems to be a popular choice.

I suppose if there is a significant difference I'd need a device or new receiver that would allow you to switch between 2 DVI / HDMI inputs as well. Is there a receiver that does this yet?

The Directv HD Tivo and DVD is what I am looking to share the projector with.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Two points to keep in mind regarding this issue. The first is that the best DVD is still 540 lines of resolution. Even if you are using a high resolution FP (720 lines or better), either a component connection or DVI still is only going to pass the 540 lines the DVD puts out. Once the high definition DVD's (Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD) come out in a year or so, the difference in quality between component and DVI (or by then HDMI) will be noticeable.

The second issue is that currently very few if any receivers have either DVI or HDMI switching. This is supposed to change in the next year or so. In fact DVI is just begining to show up on DVD players, but again with the current resolution of DVD's this is not that critical.

For now I would use component, but allow for future use of HDMI cabling without doing major reconstruction. Even with a 1080i or 720 HDTV signal my PT-L300U puts out a great six foot wide picture. Maybe DVI would be a little better, but I am happy with the component feed until I upgrade to a 1080p projector in a couple of years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

I have a sony SAT HD 200 and HS20 when I went from component to DVI/HDMI the change was noticeable. I am not sure how to quantify how much improvement I saw in color and detail but I had no question that it was better. I also use my HTPC as a DVD player using DVI/DVI and am very pleased with the result.

Jeff

·
Registered
494 Posts
I use the DVI connection from a Pioneer DV-59AVi dvd player and from a Sony SatHD200 Directv recevier going to a Sanyo PLV Z2 and I would characterize the DVI/HDMI connection as clearly superior.

The fact that the DVI source equipment can often do a better job of scaling than the display device is one reason.

Another reason is you can often scale the output to exactly match the resolution of your display device and get a 1 to 1 pixel mapping result.

You will be amazed at how much more detail is actually on a good DVD when using a pure digital path to your digital display device.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found this response in another thread:

============================

GreggPenn

============================

Shadowbox:

In Video setting, the picture looked geometrically correct and centered. I did not suggest to Adam that he try the computer mode -- since Video GBR did look correct. (I picked a scene where I was familiar with the goofy things that the Samsung did -- and it had two giant circles in it to confirm geometry).

Everyone:

The biggest advantage to Adam's setup is the use of both digital inputs on his PJ with respect to his cabling distance. While I haven't read definitive tests regarding signal degradation of digital vs component feeds, I would assume that digital is better for longer runs. And, I have no doubt that the improvement would be detectable -- especially if A/B comparisons were performed to reveal the difference. In Adam's case, his HDTV box and DVD player are a considerable distance away from his PJ, but I couldn't detect any significant loss -- due to the length of his cable runs.

Still, people are asking: "What does that extra digital signal give me over DVI or component feeds". As you might guess, the answer IS subjective. On the HS20, I've now seen the an HDMI Pioneer, a DVI (and component) Samsung, and a relatively inexpensive Panasonic component DVD player.

If you buy something as flexible as the Pioneer 59-AVI, you definitely could set it up in "THROUGH" mode, go through some visual/formal calibration tweaking, and you'd end up with the best possible 480p picture you can get. How good is that? To be honest, I think you'd have to see side-by-side tests to detect the difference (vs component). For differences this small, I'd have to say the extra cost/effort is only worth it for those seeking the absolute best -- no matter how small the increment.

Personally, I wouldn't spend $300 to REPLACE a good component DVD player with a DVI/HDMI-equipped player. However, I WOULD select a DVI/HDMI unit if making a first purchase and the prices were reasonably close. And (just so you know), the HDMI interface on the HS20 works as well as the DVI interface. Based on readings in this forum, I have to assume this is only true when "powered" by an HDMI device (vs. plugging a DVI device into it with an adapter). For those wanting to know if HDMI works BETTER than DVI, I haven't seen anything to indicate it. Through either interface, you avoid the D=>A and A=>D conversions, so the result is the same.

In conclusion: After seeing the difference between pure digital (HDTV and DVD) vs analog-to-digital feeds, it makes me realize that digital connections don't provide overwhelming improvement. (At least not on an HS20). Don't get me wrong, there is a little difference, but it will be more on the order of improving your focus a "click" or two. It won't equal a higher resolution source (like 720p/1080i). And, it won't compare to the improvement we will see in a WM9 and/or Blu-ray unit (with corresponding source material) when they come out later this year.

gp

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't run DVI at home so my experience is based upon demos at a couple of stores.

I definitely saw an improvement in DVI vs component video. One main advantage to consider with DVI is that it eliminates two conversions. The DVD player will read the data from the DVD and output it to component ( a digital to analog conversion). Assuming you have a digital display (DLP, etc) then the display must convert the analog component video signal back to digital. These conversions can and from what I've seen definitely do degrade the video signal.

If you have a CRT projector, then this is a somewhat moot point since the signal will become analog in the end anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.