AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post ...but I've been lurking around this forum for year and learnt loads - thanks everyone!

I have a question about using an HDMI switcbbox.

A bit of background on my system so you can see where I'm coming from:

I have 2 sources: my HTPC and a Sony bluray player which I use to listen to SACDs.

The HTPC feeds video direct to my Dell monitor via a DVI-D cable (I don't have a TV) and audio via HDMI to my NAD receiver. It would have been nice if I could have fed the video signal via the receiver, too, so that I could see my receiver's on-screen menus, but this doesn't work because the reeiver tells the HTPC that it can't accept a 60Hz signal, which is what my monitor needs (not to mention 1600p, not 1080p). Even powerstrip won't allow me to over-ride this. Not ideal, but it would be OK if it weren't for my second problem:

My Sony Blu-ray player refuses to output audio to my receiver unless I have my monitor plugged-in to the receiver's HDMI output. That's a pain, because whenever I want to listen to an SACD, I have to unplug the HTPC DVI-D cable from the monitor and plug in the HDMI>DVI-D cable from the Receiver (and lug my monior from one part of the room to another). I've now broken one of my cables doing this, so it's time to rationallise!

I'm thinking of routing both the DVI-D output from the HTPC and the HDMI output from the receiver to the DVI-D input of my monitor via an HDMI switch. My worry, however, is that the switch might not correctly pass the EDID info. from the monitor to the HTPC and thus cause the same problems trying to connect the HTPC and monitor via the receiver. If possible, I'd like some assurance that it will work correctly before shelling-out because I want to get some decent HDMI-DVI-D cables at the same time, and that's going to cost!

Any advice is gratefully received.

John.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.