AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to need 2 HDMI - DVI cables (DTV HD DVR & DVP-NS975V to ES9000), as well as 1 DVI -> DVI cable (ES9000 to XBR950).

What I have currently is:

Monster 400 for HDMI : HDMI to DVI Video Cable - HDMI400/DVI-1M x1

& HDMI400/DVI-1M x2

+

Monster DVI400 Super-High Performance DVI-D Video Cable for HDTV - DVI400-5M x1

I was told that these are the best quality cables that the TGG carry, so that is what i got.

I am considering moving up to the M1000DV HDMI to DVI Reference Digital Video Interface (M1000HDMI/DVI-1M / M1000HDMI/DVI-2M )& M500DVI Super-High Performance DVI-D Video Cable for HDTV (M500DVI-5M) as I FINALLY found somewher in the greater SF Bay area that sells them, but wanted to see what other people are using first.

Any/all suggestions are welcome.

Thnx

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
HDMI and DVI are digital (aka data is transmitted as 0 and 1's), for cables under 5 meters in length, any cable will work, either the signal gets there or it doesn't. You my friend have bought into the hype of Monster cables which while being good quality, are way way overpriced, you won't see any improvement switching to even higher priced ones.

Don't believe me? Swap out the cable you bought with the HDMI to DVI cable that came with your Tivo, see if you notice a difference in PQ.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
mjones73,

I have another question along this line, that maybe you can add some information about.

I have an Explorer 8300HD DVR STB which as an HDMI (no DVI) out interface. If I purchase the Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY Plasma FP, but not the external speakers, should I add an HDMI or DVI accessory terminal board? I'm not sure but my impression is there may be a video signal loss for Plasma screens if I use an HDMI to DVI converter. By going HDMI initially, would that provide digital audio out if I add the external speakers later on?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mjones73
HDMI and DVI are digital (aka data is transmitted as 0 and 1's), for cables under 5 meters in length, any cable will work, either the signal gets there or it doesn't. You my friend have bought into the hype of Monster cables which while being good quality, are way way overpriced, you won't see any improvement switching to even higher priced ones.

Don't believe me? Swap out the cable you bought with the HDMI to DVI cable that came with your Tivo, see if you notice a difference in PQ.
Hey Matt,

Thanks for your input. I don't actually have the gear yet (we move into our new house in 10 days), so i am trying to get ahead of this.

Independent of the brand name, i assume that you are not an advocate then of going to a "higher quality" cable then?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drick
Hey Matt,

Thanks for your input. I don't actually have the gear yet (we move into our new house in 10 days), so i am trying to get ahead of this.

Independent of the brand name, i assume that you are not an advocate then of going to a "higher quality" cable then?
Not for digital connections, what you have already should work fine.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by optivity
mjones73,

I have another question along this line, that maybe you can add some information about.

I have an Explorer 8300HD DVR STB which as an HDMI (no DVI) out interface. If I purchase the Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY Plasma FP, but not the external speakers, should I add an HDMI or DVI accessory terminal board? I'm not sure but my impression is there may be a video signal loss for Plasma screens if I use an HDMI to DVI converter. By going HDMI initially, would that provide digital audio out if I add the external speakers later on?
You won't see a video loss converting from HDMI to DVI, again, it's a digital signal, there is no conversion, just a change in cable type. I'd just add the HDMI board if you intend to add speakers to the TV later, specially if the price is similar between the two boards...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mjones73
Not for digital connections, what you have already should work fine.
perfect, that's what i was hoping you would say.

Thnx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.