AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am utterly confused by this topic.---It seems that PQ is better when using either one of this inputs. SHould we as consumers be looking at sets with these inputs only--and if so most sets have only one of either input if I am not mistaken--so do you use it for the cable companies HDTV---or your dvi /hdmi dvd player.---Hdmi sets coming out this summer--should we wait--is it really that big a deal???---

·
Registered
192 Posts
I believe you would expect the same picture quality. HDMI accepts audio as well but Im not sure of the usefullness for those with separate audio components. I believe, ideally you would want to use either DVI or HDMI for both dvd players and cable companies HDTV if you can. The problem being that the number of these inputs is often limited on today's sets. There might also be some differences with copy protection flags but I' know little about that area???

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
For video PQ they are the same and HDMI is backward compatible with DVI. You can use longer cables with HDMI and it's extra bandwidth may come in handy in the future.

A cheap and temporary solution for two components into a set with one port is to use an extra male/female (short) cable. Each device would have to be connected when you wanted to use it.

There is at least on company with 2/1 and 4/1 DVI switch boxes.

If you click on the "Popular" link at the bottom of my message and go to the Samsung section you can select the "HLN Guide" link. In that thread go to the bottom of first message and look for a "DVI Guide" link. There will be one link for the thread and one for a "Guide" that you can down load.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.