AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, HDMI carries both the audio and video in digital format right? If my Samsung DLP had a HDMI input, what exactly would I plug into it? I'd guess it couldn't be my DVD player because the audio should go straight to my receiver via Toslink optical. When would I every want to send audio directly to my TV when my audio should be going to my receiver. I'm confused.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
HDMI is just a way to send both audio and video to your TV with one cable. Some people want to use the TV's speakers. If you send the audio to your receiver, then HDMI has no advantage over DVI. If you connect a DVD player via HDMI, you would then have to turn off (or turn down to zero) the TV's speakers to listen exclusively through the receiver. In the future, there will be more receivers with HDMI inputs, solving the problem.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if you connect your DVD player to your DLP via HDMI then how do you get the audio to your receiver? I'm guessing I could still use the Toslink optical cable from the DVD to Receiver in tandem. But that sounds odd.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Jamers, I think most of us would only connect the DVD player to the receiver (audio).

Where folks run dual connections is sat. receiver or cable box or OTA STB. Then we run audio to both the receiver to watch PPV, premium movies, etc., but also run audio to the tv just to watch the news, weather, etc. without turning on the whole audio system. Like Loday says, you'd probably go optical/coaxial digital to the receiver and DVI+audio or HDMI to the tv.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.