AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have just acquired a HDMI Extender that uses 2 CAT5e/CAT6 cables
when I connect it directly between my laptop and the TV using 2 CAT6 cables it works well
when I connect it using an extra CAT6 cable (that is located within the wall of my apartment) I cannot see anything in the TV, however the Laptop identifies the TV(it writes the "Philips" brand as the connect device)

I have tested the connections in my wall with its dedicated device and it worked great,
I have tested the connections in my wall between the router and the laptop(as an internet connection instead of HDMI extender connection) and it worked as well.

I have tried changing the cables to new ones and changing the connection in the tv from HDMI1 to HDMI2 - still the same problem happens - nothing is seen in the TV and the laptop idetnifies the TV

Did anyone encounter such a problem? can you maybe point me to a solution that might work?
thanks for the help.
Ben

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
HDMI over CAT puts a lot more bandwidth down your CAT cable than your IT gear.

Dual CAT Extenders usually split the signal sonthatbtge Video (with embedded Audio) runs on one cable (which is carrying the bulk of the bandwidth) and everything else down the other cable so one of the runs is more critical than the other.

Low cost Extenders use a fixed EQ assuming the cables are a fixed length and that Cable A and B are very close in overall length - better quality systems will adjust the EQ to suit the cable lengths and deal within uneven cable lengths.

How is the Extender powered? You either want power at both ends or power at the Transmitter (Source) end - non-powered and powered at the Receive (display) end are less reliable.

Avoid unnecessary breaks in the cable run - wall plates and keystone jacks can kill the signal.

A single CAT Extender using HDBT is the most reliable solution.

Joe

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am using "HDMI® Extender Using Cat5e or CAT6 Cable" from monoprice.

This has caused a problem with X-10 Pyramid IR extender. When the extender is connected the X-10 Receiver shows it is receiving constant signals.

Am using the HDMI extender with 2 25ft UTP cat6 cables.

Is there a solution to this problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts