AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Panasonic HD-ready TV connected to a Denon AVR-1611 receiver AMP. I have a Denon blu-ray connected to the AMP as well as DSTV HD Decoder and PC with an HD video card. The soures are all connected to the amp with HD cables, and the amp connected to the TV with a Lindy HDMI Extender unit (about 10m of cat6e cable)

My issue is that the blu-ray player and DSTV decoder work 100% but I get no image from the PC, no matter what I try, and what settings I use on the amp. If I connect the TV directly up to the PC with an HD cable then it works fine, and if I try connect the PC up to the HDMI Extender directly so that it is connected to TV through that then it still does not work, and as such assuming that it is the extender that is the problem. I also tried connecting my high end office laptop to the amp (also with HDMI cable) then I get the sound from the laptop through the HDMI cable, but no image on the TV.

Just seems odd that both PC's have an issue but the other sources work fine. Any suggestions on how to get this configuration to work?

Many thanks

Justin

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Well, it's odd, but not uncommon...

Since you've got two PC-based devices that don't work, and you've properly isolated it down to the extender, at least we know where the problem is.

Try the settings on the PC video output - does changing resolution, color depth, frame rate, etc. make a difference? Could be some incompatibility there - might be worth a call to Lindy's tech support / website to see about "video card compatibility".

Otherwise, I'm afraid you're probably on to trying a different extender brand/model.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I am already on to my second extender (tried the cheaper option first and the blu-ray and HDCP and all did not like it one bit).

Did some further reading on resolutions and I think that I will follow your advice on trying differnt resolutions etc. Briefly tried a few the other night and will try a few again tomorrow.

Many thanks, Justin

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't know if you got it working or not yet, but I've had a whole ordeal getting my configuration to work.

Here's what I've learned:

Verizon FiOS STBs have very weak HDMI out signals

PS3s have strong HDMI out signals

ATI Graphics cars have weak HDMI out signals

I was using the cheaper monoprice products and through trial and error, I found a solution that works. I had been using their simple HDMI to ethernet wall plates which worked fine for the PS3, but the computer and STB would not make th 60' ethernet run. They came out with a new one where you could boost the signal using a 5V power adapter and that actually worked worse!

But finally, they came out with a new product last week that is an all in one solution which combines a 4 x 2 matrix with the ethernet extenders. This has so far solved all my problems and signals (even 1080p 60Hz) make the long distance run across the ethernet cables without issue. There are some quirky tendencies with the computer resetting the resolution (win7 problem), but HD audio and video make it to my media room.

If you're still having problems, I suggest you look into that matrix.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyusa
...ethernet run...
Just so others do not get confused. You are talking about HDMI over Cat5/5e/6 cable, not ethernet. Ethernet is a set of protocols for transmission of data over a variety of media, including Cat 5/5e/6 cables. HDMI over ethernet is not really an option yet because of the bandwidth required.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm
HDMI over ethernet is not really an option yet because of the bandwidth required.
Unless, of course, you are talking about Just Add Power because they DO distribute HDMI over gigabit Ethernet.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
No, they don't distribute HDMI. HDMI is uncompressed. They distribute a compressed version of the HDMI signal and uncompress at the other end. Maximum HDMI bandwidth is over 10Gbps, even 1080p60 requires about 4.5Gbps. What they claim is their 2G product is visually lossless. In other words, some information is lost, but you cannot tell the difference. It may be a good product, but it isn't HDMI over ethernet.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinWhite /forum/post/20879656

Hi,

I have a Panasonic HD-ready TV connected to a Denon AVR-1611 receiver AMP. I have a Denon blu-ray connected to the AMP as well as DSTV HD Decoder and PC with an HD video card. The soures are all connected to the amp with HD cables, and the amp connected to the TV with a Lindy HDMI Extender unit (about 10m of cat6e cable)

My issue is that the blu-ray player and DSTV decoder work 100% but I get no image from the PC, no matter what I try, and what settings I use on the amp. If I connect the TV directly up to the PC with an HD cable then it works fine, and if I try connect the PC up to the HDMI Extender directly so that it is connected to TV through that then it still does not work, and as such assuming that it is the extender that is the problem. I also tried connecting my high end office laptop to the amp (also with HDMI cable) then I get the sound from the laptop through the HDMI cable, but no image on the TV.

Just seems odd that both PC's have an issue but the other sources work fine. Any suggestions on how to get this configuration to work?

Many thanks

Justin

As I understand it the sound is carried with the picture when sent over HDMI. This means that you are getting the signal to the other end but something, probably HDCP is stopping it playing. This is strange though if you are just sending the desktop - i.e. not trying to play iTunes or BluRay films. Is there a setting on the graphics cards to change the HDCP settings? Maybe so it only swaps keys only when playing copy protected films?

Sorry I havent got an answer but best of luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.