AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the story!

I have a Marantz SR5005, Epson TW5500 and a PS3 with PlayTV.

The projector is connected via a 10 meter HDMI cable through the wall to a faceplate and them from there it goes through a 1.5 meter HDMI cable of the same "brand" to the Marantz.

The problem: While watching the PS3 the picture would randomly flash black every 1 hour, 30 minutes, 2 hours - whatever.

Also: When changing to PlayTV the signal would simply not be detected for at least 30-40 seconds. This also happens RARELY when starting a game or when turning on the PS3 in general.

What I have done: I plugged my 24" HDMI computer monitor directly into the Marantz where the projector's cable would have went and I proceeded to watch an entire movie - No flashing. I also tried PlayTV and it had no dramas with finding a signal.

I then plugged my PS3 directly into the projector and no problems whatsoever (to my knowledge, i couldnt really test very long without sound).

I have come to the semi-logical conclusion that it is my 10 meter HDMI cable.

How? Why? What!?

I need to be 100% sure that its the cable as it would cost me a lot of money to buy and install a new cable.

Another possibly related issue: If I touch the HDMI cable to the rear chassis of the Marantz it will spark.

^ WTF.

Anyways!

Help me out!

The cable is a generic one by the way.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140516789078

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk_group /forum/post/20793887

Heres the story!

I have a Marantz SR5005, Epson TW5500 and a PS3 with PlayTV.

The projector is connected via a 10 meter HDMI cable through the wall to a faceplate and them from there it goes through a 1.5 meter HDMI cable of the same "brand" to the Marantz.

The problem: While watching the PS3 the picture would randomly flash black every 1 hour, 30 minutes, 2 hours - whatever.

Also: When changing to PlayTV the signal would simply not be detected for at least 30-40 seconds. This also happens RARELY when starting a game or when turning on the PS3 in general.

What I have done: I plugged my 24" HDMI computer monitor directly into the Marantz where the projector's cable would have went and I proceeded to watch an entire movie - No flashing. I also tried PlayTV and it had no dramas with finding a signal.

I then plugged my PS3 directly into the projector and no problems whatsoever (to my knowledge, i couldnt really test very long without sound).

I have come to the semi-logical conclusion that it is my 10 meter HDMI cable.

How? Why? What!?

I need to be 100% sure that its the cable as it would cost me a lot of money to buy and install a new cable.

Another possibly related issue: If I touch the HDMI cable to the rear chassis of the Marantz it will spark.

^ WTF.

Anyways!

Help me out!

The cable is a generic one by the way.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140516789078

Interesting first append. Welcome to the AVSForum.

Basically you have a bad cable and a bad ground (somewhere, possibly the cable). The bad cable is the obvious one to answer first. There are two types of HDMI cables (with a number of options). One is called standard speed and the other is called high speed (these can also be called cat 1 and cat 2, respectively).

I'm betting you don't know which type you have and that you purchased it off of eBay means there is also a good chance the cable is counterfeit anyway based on the description in the link.

Standard speed cables are used for 720p and 1080i applications. High speed cables are used for 1080p/60, deep color, 3D, etc. Basically anything that requires more bandwidth for the signal.

See the HDMI Orgs FAQ for more information:
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49

Now both standard speed and high speed cables have the same pin-outs and look roughly the same. The difference is that the high speed cable is certified for the higher speeds. It is not possible, just by looking at the cable (without any writing on the cable), to tell the difference. Also since your eBay cable is already suspect, I wouldn't trust any writing on the cable anyway.

So, your choices are to replace the cable with a high speed cable (limited to around 25 feet), another more-reputable higher-gauge standard speed cable (if greater than 25 feet is needed) or to reduce the speed of your devices to 1080i (you probably won't notice the difference). If you have "Deep Color" enabled, disabling Deep Color would also reduce speed and you really won't notice that difference, if you are like most consumers.

As far as the ground issue is concerned, that is your biggest problem since that is actually dangerous. I'm betting given everything else that your counterfeit cable's ground is loose. If so, that could damage either component on both ends of the cable. That would be another vote for a new cable before you are buying a new AVR and new PS3. HDMI component boards are notorious for being easily damaged and in most components that means replacing the entire main system board, which is usually just as expensive as buying a new component. Remember that if you decide to play with the suspect HDMI cable some more.

Getting back to eBay (and before someone follows your link and tries to buy the cable), this cable is a fraud. Reading the desciption off of eBay makes me more sure this cable is counterfeit. The technical parts of the description don't make any engineering sense and violate HDMI Org's rules for advertising. The English was apparently written by someone who threw it together and wasn't really worried about content or grammar, just word count. The advertisement litterally says, "to ensure that the distortion of the signal will not be lost in the transfer" - you realize this means that the cable guarantees that any errors (distortion) won't be lost? Well, you can't say they didn't warn you!

A couple of BTWs - first, in general if you pay more than $1 (U.S.) per foot for a legit HDMI cable, you've paid too much. Second, check this forum's archives. There is a lot of discussion about cables that will answer your questions right away rather than having to wait for a response from one of the "volunteers" who occasionally answer questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Interface: HDMI Male to Male (19 Pins)

High Density Outer Braid

24k Gold Plated Connector for highest signal transfer rate and resistance in corrosion.

99.99% Oxygen Free Copper Conductors.

Dual Magnetic Loop

Wear-resistant Nylon Mesh Surface

Transfer Rate: 10.2Gbps

Supports 3D.

HDMI Ethernet Channel

Fully Compatible with new HDMI 1.4 specification and HDMI 1.3c

Fully HDCP compliant to provide highest level of signal quality

Supports upto 2160p

Cable Length: 10M

28 AWG

Cable Head Color: Purple Colour Aluminum Casing

Warranty: LIFETIME Performance warranty
ebay.com.au/itm/140516789078

That's my cable.

Should I just find any branded cable to replace it? "Monster Ultra 1000EX" is an option for me. They have this in 10 meters even though you said the general max for high speed cables are 8. This cable will cost me approx $180 AUD.

Any suggestions or cheaper/better alternatives?

Also which pin is the ground, I can test it with a multimeter or something (im guessing).

ALSO!

Im guessing the problem with my cable is that it isnt high speed? Because it worked on the same "brand" 1.5meter cable.

I take it I have to lower myself to 1080i and turn off deep colour etc etc and that should fix it??

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk_group /forum/post/20794255

ebay.com.au/itm/140516789078

That's my cable.

Should I just find any branded cable to replace it? "Monster Ultra 1000EX" is an option for me. They have this in 10 meters even though you said the general max for high speed cables are 8. This cable will cost me approx $180 AUD.

Any suggestions or cheaper/better alternatives?

Also which pin is the ground, I can test it with a multimeter or something (im guessing).

In the U.S. - I'd say try Monoprice. Also try Amazon (I believe they have a web site down under). Here's the guideline - if the cable says it is "high speed" and doesn't have a version number (such as 1.4a) then it may be legit. If it advertises that it improves your picture or audio quality or includes the HDMI version number then it is either old or not legit. If the price is too high then it may not be legit.

As far as testing with a multimeter - your odds of damaging your equipment just went way up. I certainly cannot advise that since you would have to plug both ends of the cable into components and we already know your cable is suspect. I forsee purchases of new components in your future, if you continue to play with this counterfeit cable.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk_group /forum/post/20794255

ALSO!

Im guessing the problem with my cable is that it isnt high speed? Because it worked on the same "brand" 1.5meter cable.

I take it I have to lower myself to 1080i and turn off deep colour etc etc and that should fix it??

If it wasn't for the ground problem, the answer would be yes. The shorter the cable, the more likely even a standard speed cable will provide high speed. Also, we've found the higher the gauge (all other things being equal), the more likely the standard speed cable will work at high speeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take it I should buy this (25ft 22AWG CL2 Silver Plated High Speed HDMI Cable):

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024001&p_id=3657&seq=1&format=2

And because I most likely cant reach the amp with 8 meters (10ft 24AWG CL2 High Speed Male to Female HDMI Extension Cable):

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024010&p_id=3343&seq=1&format=2

^ would this work with the extender? or would i need an amplifier (repeater):

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041914&p_id=7700&seq=1&format=2

And I guess I will have to buy new 1.5 meter cables unless the 10m one is making the 1.5m one spark....

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk_group /forum/post/20794377

I take it I should buy this (25ft 22AWG CL2 Silver Plated High Speed HDMI Cable):

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024001&p_id=3657&seq=1&format=2

And because I most likely cant reach the amp with 8 meters (10ft 24AWG CL2 High Speed Male to Female HDMI Extension Cable):

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024010&p_id=3343&seq=1&format=2

^ would this work with the extender? or would i need an amplifier (repeater):

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041914&p_id=7700&seq=1&format=2

And I guess I will have to buy new 1.5 meter cables unless the 10m one is making the 1.5m one spark....

Keep in mind that 1.5m is only around $5 (U.S. without shipping). So that seems like good insurance rather than playing with something.

And, Monoprice is not the only vendor that many people use here, but they do have a good reputation.

If it were me, I'd go with a higher gauge standard speed cable of the correct length and just keep Deep Color disabled. Some people have had problems with extenders.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk_group /forum/post/20796147

so even with a repeater with two 5 meter high speeds?

Just adding complications with a repeater but it should work. Just make sure the repeater is rated for the capabilities you need. If you're going to do 3D, then make sure the repeater is listed as 3D capable.

Wouldn't the repeater be in the wall with two 5 meter cables?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah it would have to be in the ceiling.

also: does it matter that i have a hdmi face plate (wall plate)?

thank god i didnt waste much on these initial cables.

and yeah seeing as the 1.5 meters are cheap ill just buy a whole new set of everything and resell the ones i have ^_^

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
you said "Another possibly related issue: If I touch the HDMI cable to the rear chassis of the Marantz it will spark." BUT what you really didn't describe well is What cable are you talking about? when this occurs... the entire "system cables", the short cable ONLY, what. Actually your problem might be "simplier" than you think... who made your wall plate??? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the 1.5 meter hdmi cable which comes from the hdmi wall plate (which in turn is connected to the 10m one).

i dont think the 10 meter hdmi cable would reach the amp without the wall plate, but i could try

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I don't think you quite understand (maybe I don't either... :) The test you need to do is take a small cable, take off the wall plate... connect to it, then take another short cable and connect to the other side of the wall plate. Do you still have the "sparks" problem at the receiver... :-(... :) Hopefully, you can reach the "offending" sink (ie. projector IF I understand your setup). OF COURSE, this is DANGEROUS to that piece of equipment's HDMI port... but that will tell if your wall plate is the problem. You can probably also just check the wall plate with a meter. Basically, I think your problem is that there is a "pin issue/wiring problem" in the wall plate on the 5v EDID pins "somewhere"... my guess. BUT it could also be your original "suspect", the cable.... hence the test.

Further, you just buy a "cheap" short male/female hdmi cable and "skip" the wall plate to see if this solves your issue.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich
I don't think you quite understand (maybe I don't either... :) The test you need to do is take a small cable, take off the wall plate... connect to it, then take another short cable and connect to the other side of the wall plate. Do you still have the "sparks" problem at the receiver... :-(... :) Hopefully, you can reach the "offending" sink (ie. projector IF I understand your setup). OF COURSE, this is DANGEROUS to that piece of equipment's HDMI port... but that will tell if your wall plate is the problem. You can probably also just check the wall plate with a meter. Basically, I think your problem is that there is a "pin issue/wiring problem" in the wall plate on the 5v EDID pins "somewhere"... my guess. BUT it could also be your original "suspect", the cable.... hence the test.

Further, you just buy a "cheap" short male/female hdmi cable and "skip" the wall plate to see if this solves your issue.
Budwich - good point. I did fail to take the wall plate into consideration after seeing the HDMI cable advertisement. But all of the problems could equally be the wallplate. (or it could be both the cable and the wallplate, but that is unlikely)

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Spark- starting to see this problem on a lot of instals! Whist HDMI allows for 'hot plugging' it's never a good idea!

Were seeing systems where everything in the system is using a two pin plug with everyone (manufacturer) assuming someone else in the system will be providing an earth!

Were also seeing TV's spitting out unwanted voltages on HDMI Input sockets!

Projector's are always more prone to voltage drop across HDMI cables - you don't day if you tried your 'working' monitor on the far end of the long cable (where the Projector normally plugs in)?

Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts